Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Bing Search For Windows Mobile Updated

http://www.bing.com/community/blogs...dows-phone.aspx

Microsoft has updated its Bing client with two new features. The first is an updated home page which appears to use a daily Bing image, if you like that sort of thing. If you have a 6.1 or 6.5 device, it also supports turn by turn directions on certain devices. You can see if your device qualifies at the link below.

The voice guided direction works on Sprint, T-Mobile and AT&T. I guess Verizon users are out in the cold on this one.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:34 PM
yawanag
Thinker
Default Bing Updated

I downloaded this and when I tap "find my location" I get "sorry I can't find that location.." When I tap on "speak" before I can open my mouth to speak I get "sorry I couldn't understand you.

On the Touch Pro, for some reason you can't completely remove an app from the Remove Program list. It says the program will be completely removed, do you want to continue and when you tap "yes" it is still there. Sometimes I can remove an app through the regedit, but often it doesn't show up in the registry. It's a pain in the butt.

Now I want to know how can I get my old version of Bing back.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:48 PM
efjay
Theorist

Works fine on my T-Mobile HD2, still beta so hopefully we will see bug fixes and new features in the future. Now lets hope this is kept as a unique Windows Phone feature, like google navigation is for android, and MS dont devalue their mobile platform by doling it out to all and sundry.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I don't get the big "Go Away" message that the Bing Mobile team gives to international users; when I hit m.bing.com on my HD2, I get no option to download the client. I have the old Windows Live Search software on the HD2 - it comes with it - but there's no client update available. On my wife's HTC Snap, I saw that the Client Update menu option was available, but it opens up IE Mobile and takes me to a "Page Cannot be found" error - it's a path to a CAB file that doesn't exist. When I search for Bing in the Marketplace app on my HD2, I don't see the app (and this is after toggling from English - Canada to English - USA). Why doesn't Microsoft want me to get this app? I know there's no official support yet for Canada after all these years, but it's still a very useful app for me to have on my phone.

From where I'm standing, bit seems like this has gotten a lot harder.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:39 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

Installed on my Touch Pro2. I really like the improved interface and it seems to work a bit faster. However, the turn-by-turn routing directions constantly crashes the app after 5-10 seconds of use. So I must use the standard driving directions instead. Aside from that, it's a decent upgrade overall though.

On a side note, one thing that I really like about Bing is the connection with Outlook contacts. So when I need to get driving directions, it can pull an address from my Outlook contacts instead of copying/pasting. This feature has been around for a little while of course, but really appreciate it. Bing is quickly gaining on Google, if not surpassing in these areas, IMHO.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:57 PM
jgjackson
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to jgjackson

Contrary to earlier FUD that it doesn't work on Verizon (there were claims posted that the navigation button took you to VZNavigator instead), it works fine on my Verizon TP2.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgjackson View Post
Contrary to earlier FUD that it doesn't work on Verizon (there were claims posted that the navigation button took you to VZNavigator instead), it works fine on my Verizon TP2.
I wasn't spreading FUD. The MS site specifically excludes Verizon from the list of supported networks and on my VZ TP, the Bing app shows no updates available.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:09 AM
mrdork
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
I wasn't spreading FUD. The MS site specifically excludes Verizon from the list of supported networks and on my VZ TP, the Bing app shows no updates available.
Same issue here (no update in app) with a TP2 on Verizon. However, I was able to d/l and install the latest version from MS and it seems to work fine. I only got a warning the first time I ran it that it was "not designed for my device", which I promptly dismissed. The only thing I noticed was that the GPS receiver is not always turned off when exiting the app and my battery gets sucked dry pretty quickly.