Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook
Default HTC HD2 Dropped on Road. Recovered with Surprising Results.

http://www.wmexperts.com/htc-hd2-ta...rts+(WMExperts)

"Important safety tip, don't place your HTC HD2 on the roof of you car and drive off. However, if you do, all might not be lost. The Talk Show host in the above video was loaned an HTC HD2 to review. He was distracted while leaving work and left the Windows Phone on top of his car. Once home, he realized what had happened, traced back his steps and found the HD2 lying face down in the road. The HD2 didn't look pretty but the overall condition of the phone might surprise you."

I've always been pleased with the build quality of HTC smartphones, and as this video shows a loaner HD2 continues to work (less touch screen) even after being run over and put back together.

While I've never driven off with my lifeline left on the roof of my car like this, accidents do happen. How many of you have done a "tad more" than just drop your smartphone accidentally? Let us know your experiences!

Old 05-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor

A coworker for got to take his (its a company phone) Blackberry Curve out of his pocket and ran it through the wash over the weekend. We were trying everything we could think of yesterday but couldn't get it to power on.

Overall I've actually been very impressed at how durable Blackberry's are. I know mine has had many drops and I know of other ones that went through worse and are still fine.

I'm not a Bb fan at all but I will say they're durable - even if they don't like swimming They also have amazing battery life!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:29 PM
scoobiefloz
Neophyte
Default Smashed HD2

I have had my HD2 for some time and I have dropped it several times and I have been impressed with the durability of the device.

I dropped the phone a few weeks ago but was not so luck this time, the screen smashed (see pic below) and bit have even fallen off around the buttons at the bottom of the screen. Impressively, the device still works perfectly, the touch screen is as responsive as it ever was, al the apps can still be loaded and the phone is OK too.

I ordered a new screen for the HD2 and now that I have taken it all apart and put it al back together, nothing works at all!!! Just my luck!!!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:02 PM
burtcom
Intellectual

I dropped my previous phone, an ETEN, many many times -- several times onto concrete. Got some serious marks and eventually a crack on the case, but it kept on working. The screen was never broken, fortunately.

My "new" phone is an HTC Tytn II -- about the same dimensions as the ETEN but much heavier. For some reason I have managed not to drop this one. Perhaps the extra heftiness adds some tactile clue for me to hang on to it better The ETEN, quite frankly, was so light that it felt like a plastic toy.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:13 PM
burtcom
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector View Post
A coworker for got to take his (its a company phone) Blackberry Curve out of his pocket and ran it through the wash over the weekend. We were trying everything we could think of yesterday but couldn't get it to power on.
Step one: remove the battery IMMEDIATELY. Then take out any SIMM cards or storage cards.

Phase two: Shake out whatever moisture you can, then dry it off as much as possible with towels (Don't use a hair drier or an oven)

Step C: If it fell into salt water, cool-aid, or urine, wash it off with clean tap water then dry it again. (you might want to open the case to make sure it is well-washed -- and DON'T use isopropyl alcohol!!)

Step IV : put it in a bowl of dried (uncooked) rice -- let it sit overnight, if not longer. Make sure its completely covered with rice. If you live in a humid environment you might want to seal the bowl with some plastic wrap. The rice will hopefully draw out the moisture. If you can get your hands on some desiccant packs, that might work even better.

Final approach: Put the battery in, turn it on and hope.