Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-06-2010, 06:12 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook
Default Windows Live Hotmail to Provide SSL and ActiveSync Support

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...-to-hotmail.ars

"More information is being revealed about the next iteration of Microsoft's Live-branded products. We know when the new programs are going to start rolling out, we know that Windows XP won't be supported, and we know a lot about the features of the next Windows Live Messenger...Now Windows Live Hotmail is in the spotlight. The web front-end gets a load of new bells and whistles, but two new features stand out in particular.

Windows Live Hotmail is undergoing some major upgrades with two notable features including full SLL support and ActiveSync. What does this mean? As for SSL, email sessions will now be fully secure through the entire session (not only for login but for sending/receiving) and enabled by default.

ActiveSync support will give users a full sync experience by providing push support and syncing of mail, calendar and contact folders with smartphones. This goes beyond IMAP's limited support for only mail sync support.

The new updates are scheduled for rollout in June, along with a host of other Live product updates. This is great news for Hotmail users and a little overdue in my opinion. Do you currently use Hotmail and looking forward to the updates? Let us know your thoughts.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:54 AM
efjay
Theorist

Looking forward to getting my calendar synced but its a double edged sword - that means no exchange sync with any other exchange account when using a WM device.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
Looking forward to getting my calendar synced but its a double edged sword - that means no exchange sync with any other exchange account when using a WM device.
As long as you're using Windows Mobile 6.x, yes. Windows phone 7 on the other hand, when it comes out...

Old 05-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
As long as you're using Windows Mobile 6.x, yes. Windows phone 7 on the other hand, when it comes out...
Does not WP7 support Exchange sync as WM6.XXX?

Old 05-06-2010, 07:11 PM
efjay
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Yes, then I wont have removable storage and hostage to whatever storage is provided by OEM's, locked into MP - as always WM gets the shaft.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
Does not WP7 support Exchange sync as WM6.XXX?
Windows phone 7 will support multiple Exchange accounts, which should mean you could have your corporate Exchange account, and also do Exchange ActiveSync against a cloud-based service such as Windows Live. That's what I was referring to.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Oh I see. Thanks I was reading in a hurry and I missed the sense.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
Oh I see. Thanks I was reading in a hurry and I missed the sense.
No worries, it was my fault for being vague - I wasn't sure if that was public yet, but it turns out it is, so I can now talk about it.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Fabulas
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to Fabulas Send a message via MSN to Fabulas Send a message via Yahoo to Fabulas
Default I can't wait!

This will allow me to receive instant hotmail access on my Android phone. BTW I also have a couple of windows mobile devices.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

I do find it kind of funny that Microsoft is just now getting around to adding this service.

How many years have their own phones supported exchange email sync? How many years could their non-corporate customers been enjoying push email, contacts, and calendar sync? How many more phones could they have sold?

I mean, don't get me wrong. This is great news for any one who still uses Hotmail. About damn time.

As for me.. I get my Hotmail on my android phone by having gmail pop it over. (i do have it setup as IMAP just in case but on manual sync)
I haven't really used Hotmail in years. It fell way to far behind the alternatives.
I will say though, in the last few months the live services have really begun to shape up. Makes my kind of sad that I moved on a long time ago. I still play with them but don't really them any longer.