Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 04-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Microsoft Will Be Updating Windows 7 Phones Directly: No More Being Held Hostage to the Mobile Operators & Hardware OEMs

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

"...Microsoft itself will release updates to the OS. Thus, users no longer have to wait until the manufacturer or provider [issues] a firmware update. This should ensure less fragmentation in some versions of Windows phones users...These updates can be pushed to the users in two ways. "We do that through the Zune desktop software or over the air," said Kindel. "Whichever way we use depends on the size of the update." In practice this will mean that major updates from the desktop software can be installed, while the smaller updates are sent directly to your phone."

Over the years, there have been irritations with Windows Mobile - things that don't quite work the way they should, things that are broken, and things that are missing. Real pain points though were on a short list: sluggish performance, stability issues, and perhaps the most frustrating of all: a truly awful ROM upgrade story. From the very first Pocket PC that shipped, these devices have been seen as having a version of Windows; and you can upgrade Windows, right? That's the perception that customers had, so when a new version of Windows Mobile came out, people expected to be able to upgrade their phone. Some OEMs offered upgrades, some didn't. Things got much worse when Pocket PCs became phones and the wireless providers got involved; then it wasn't just about whether HP or another OEM wanted to release the update, it was about the wireless provider deciding if they wanted to be bothered. And more often than not, they didn't - even if tens of thousands of customers would have been willing to pay for it.

The good news? This pain is gone. Vanished. Kaput. Microsoft will be providing updates for Windows phone 7 devices directly, just as they do today with the Zune HD. You'll plug in your device, get notified about an update, and that update will be applied - just like the process used by Apple. In fact, the Zune desktop software is the conduit, similar to iTunes - I saw this demoed a couple of months ago, and it's amazingly slick. I've been awaiting Microsoft PR approval for a Q&A with the Microsoft Program manager who heads up this feature, because there are some really interesting things about it that haven't yet been shared. Hopefully that Q&A will finally get approved and I can share the information with you.

Another key quote from this article:

"Windows 7 Phone Release will not [be] 'feature complete': many cases will be added later. This is a conscious choice, Kindel said. "What we do, we do extremely well. This is a change from previous Windows Mobile versions, where as much as possible functionality in trying to stop. Now some things are missing at the launch, but the important thing for us [is the] user experience...then [we will] look at how we can extend that functionality."

Despite the rough Google translation, you can understand what Kindel is saying: that, unlike previous versions of Windows Mobile where the product was feature-locked months before it showed up on devices, Windows phone 7 will be a constantly-evolving operating system. By the time Windows phone 7 devices are available for purchase, I'm 100% sure Microsoft will have a firmware update ready that will have a couple of months of coding work behind it. That will mean fixes/tweaks for sure, and possibly new features. Copy/paste? Maybe.

The cynics out there might point out that at some point Microsoft themselves will choose to not offer a device update, which is true; the older Zune devices no longer get firmware updates. I think we need to be realistic here though; the Zune devices got updates for quite a while, and people who purchased a Zune 30 were still getting firmware updates two years after their purchase. I've always felt that if I could get minor patches along the way, and one OS update, that would be enough to make me feel like my investment was honoured.

Even with a few limitations, I'll take Microsoft's approach to updates over the carrier/OEM updates any day!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:23 PM
paschott
Intellectual

This is definitely one of the most welcome changes to this platform. I've been burned on carrier/OEM upgrades on all of my devices and have had to turn to unofficial sources to find an upgrade. The good part about the unofficial sources is that those putting together the upgrade packages often do a lot of tailoring and customizing so you get some pretty incredible features. The bad part is that I have to unlock my phone and risk turning it into a brick to get an upgrade. No support if I make a mistake. (Hasn't been a major issue, but still a concern.)

I still remember the early Compaq devices (before HP took over) - they were pretty much always good for one OS update, even if paid. Got an iPaq expecting the same thing and HP decided there would be no update, even for a cost. Switched to an HTC phone and even though the device is good and still runs, AT&T and the other carriers decided that there would be no upgrade to the phone OS. Ditto for my current device, though I knew I could turn to XDA for that as needed.

Add in that MS is limiting the amount of customization carriers can do and this could be a pretty decent experience, despite no copy/cut/paste in the initial release. Of course, I'm still waiting to see a device before making the final decision, but will admit that I'm pretty excited about most of the changes coming.

Great news and thanks for sharing the confirmation that MS will give OS patches and updates directly.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:44 PM
vangrieg
Pupil

Great news indeed. Let's just hope that the fact that OEMs are supposed to provide the drivers won't make it wishful thinking.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor

This sounds like a great move to me! Congratulations Microsoft!

I do hope updates will be optional or there is a roll-back feature.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Yup, this is huge news. Kudos to Microsoft for finally doing this. We were only telling them this for years, Jason.

--janak

Old 04-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?u=http://tweakers.net/reviews/1625/1/interview-microsoft-over-windows-phone-7-inleiding.html&sl=nl&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8' target='_blank'>http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...en&hl=&ie=UTF-8</a><br /><br /></div><p><em"
We do that through the Zune desktop software or over the air," said Kindel. "Whichever way we use depends on the size of the update."
Something is unclear: does it means that the only way to sync a WP7 device and a desktop will be using the Zune software?
While I use it and I like it I cannot imagine corporate computers installing and using the "Zune software".

Besides these details this is a smart move for MS ......if they will not try to attach some kind of "Genuine verification" in the process....

Old 04-26-2010, 07:09 PM
benjimen
Intellectual

While MS may be handling the updates, it'll be more of MS handling the fragmentation instead of the carriers & device manufacturers. They'll be working directly with the parties involved prior to updates coming out.

When an update comes out, it won't be an across-the-board, all-devices update. They'll update a T-Mobile device differently than an AT&T one, possibly at the same time, possibly not. It'll depend on getting all the carrier bloatware in place, etc. Typically, some carriers do this more quickly than others -- that won't change.

It's not going to be WM shangrala that the headline here would have you think, but more like the current Android-issued updates with some getting things sooner than others and some receiving no updates at all.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

Well this is great news. Finally I won't have to wait 6-12 months for minor updates after they're relased by MS.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjimen View Post
While MS may be handling the updates, it'll be more of MS handling the fragmentation instead of the carriers & device manufacturers. They'll be working directly with the parties involved prior to updates coming out.

When an update comes out, it won't be an across-the-board, all-devices update. They'll update a T-Mobile device differently than an AT&T one, possibly at the same time, possibly not.
Hopefully there will be no issues with SIM free, non subsidized/crippled phones. More or less as it works in the PC world.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:58 PM
benjimen
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
Hopefully there will be no issues with SIM free, non subsidized/crippled phones. More or less as it works in the PC world.
Well... using HTC as an example, it'll all depend on the device life-cycle. They're pretty quick with current, popular smartphones -- but once it hits 6 months, it's antiquated. None of this will change, devices that are no longer supported will not receive updates no matter where they're being issued from.

MS will deliver the updates, to the devices manufacturers and carriers choose to update. Otherwise, you'll need to wade through the cooked ROMS at XDA