Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > HTC Windows Phones

Old 04-26-2010, 01:13 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook
Default Review of the HTC HD Mini aka "Little HD2"

http://www.mobilityminded.com/7441/...ws-mobile-6-5-3

Mobility Minded recently posted a review and comparison of the new HTC HD Mini, a combination of the HD2 and Touch2. While is doesn't feature a 1 GHz Snapdragon processor or 4.3 inch display like the HD2, the Qualcomm 7227 processor is still decent and the smaller form factor is a plus for many. 

Another pro of Mini is the inclusion of Windows Mobile 6.5.3. Although it is a "dot-dot-release", it does include a significant set of improvements over 6.5, including drag and drop icons in the start menu (one of those "how could they miss that" cons in 6.5), and an improved core UI overall. Add HTC's Sense 2.5 interface on top of that and you've got a very good user experience.

Suggested retail price is €379 (about $500 U.S.), although you can purchase from Clove.co.uk in Europe for £275 (about $425 U.S.) unlocked. No word on U.S. availability, but with WP7 around the corner at this point, I doubt we will see an official carrier release in the states.

Does anyone currently own or plan on purchasing the HD Mini? Read the full review and let us know your thoughts.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:25 PM
efjay
Theorist

Sorry, with an HD2 in hand I cant see myself downgrading to this device, plus the odd resolution will cause problems with some applications which, at this point will probably not be updated. Not a good buy at all, IMO.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Same here; the HD2 dimensions do not bother me at all; actually with my aging eyes I prefer a bigger screen. (-:

Old 04-26-2010, 03:37 PM
bitbank
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to bitbank

Judging by the popularity of the Touch Pro 2 (aka Tilt2), HTC should have made an updated version of that instead of this oddball. The HVGA resolution will definitely cause app compatibility issues and the form factor and performance of the device are nothing special. The killer device will be a Touch Pro 3 - similar to a touch TP2, but slimmer, capacitive touch, 1Ghz Snapdragon CPU. When they make such a device, I'll be one of the first in line to buy it.
L.B.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitbank View Post
Judging by the popularity of the Touch Pro 2 (aka Tilt2), HTC should have made an updated version of that instead of this oddball. The HVGA resolution will definitely cause app compatibility issues and the form factor and performance of the device are nothing special. The killer device will be a Touch Pro 3 - similar to a touch TP2, but slimmer, capacitive touch, 1Ghz Snapdragon CPU. When they make such a device, I'll be one of the first in line to buy it.
L.B.
I'll be the first to pre-order it

Old 04-27-2010, 02:20 PM
epdm2be
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to epdm2be Send a message via MSN to epdm2be
Default Tp3

If they don't forget a LED-flash (with a inbuild function to use it as a torchlamp like the Omnia SGH-i900) and don't ****up the audio system so that Vito's Audio Notes Touch, Resco Audio Recorder or WM's inbuild Notes-recording FULLY work (indeed like the TP1 and Omnia SGH-i900)

I have no need to revert back WM2001 functionality albeit with a faster cpu and nicer screen.
Otherwise they can keep their ****.

Just my 2 cents.

I do like it's flat back design. They should have made the back flush with the cam-module on the HD2 too (and hence had more space to use a bigger 1500mA battery). That extra mm. wouldn't have added much to it's size.

Last edited by epdm2be; 04-27-2010 at 02:23 PM..