Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-2010, 06:09 AM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker
Default Finally: Zune HD Plays Doom

http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/do...-hd-v1-1-a.html

There are two games that I think are ported to every platform, no matter how successful.  One is Tetris.  The other one probably doesn't need to be mentioned by name.  If you play video games, you've played Doom.  If you haven't played Doom then you need to turn in your gamer card.  I'm pretty sure I've played Doom on every computing platform I've had other than my Commodore 64.

And now, thanks to Zuneboards member Netrix, you can play it on your Zune.  The caveat is, of course, that you need OpenZDK.  But if there is anything that shows what people really want out of their Zunes, this is it.  OpenZDK has been around for about a week and we already have Doom.  You'll have to provide your own WAD files if you want to play anything other than the shareware.

I really wish Microsoft would expand the Zune platform to a full mobile gaming platform.  With the Tegra powering it, there is more than enough power to produce some amazing portable gaming.  I'm not interested in the Windows Phone or the Kin (though for the Zune platform, I am happy that they're coming to the market) but the Zune as a portable entertainment device can be so much more!

When I get my Zune 64, I'm not sure if I'll go the OpenZDK route, but its definitely on my mind now!