Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Articles & Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Eight Reasons Not To Buy a DSLR for Video

http://poetzerofilm.com/2010/04/8-r...-to-buy-a-dslr/

"DSLR's, the game-changing family of hybrid cameras are the darlings of the media world. Cheap and capable of eye-catching imagery, they've captured the imagination of thousands of would-be (and real life) cinematographers and directors. It seems everyone has a feature in production using the neat little cams which are going to take over Hollywood. But this picture isn't perfect. Here are 8 reasons not to buy a DSLR for video."

This article brings up some excellent points about the limitations of using a DSLR for video - the biggest of which is the ergonomics. DSLRs were designed to take pictures; video is just an afterthought. I love the way DSLR video looks, but this article raises some very valid points that should make anyone re-think a DSLR video project if they assumed it would be easy. Not that it can't be done - Vincent Laforet has proven amazing things can be achieved - but it's not something you should go into blindly. I wonder what kind of challenges they had on this episode of House shot with a DSLR?