Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Palm For Sale?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/11/...is-up-for-sale/

"Bloomberg just reported that Palm is putting itself up for sale and that offers will potentially come in this week. That's pretty wild news, considering CEO Jon Rubinstein was adamant just a few days ago that Palm had a plan to get profitable -- even while his company's stock price went on a buyout-rumor fueled rollercoaster."

Given the paucity of product launches and the competition from Apple's iPhone, Google's Android and (maybe) Microsoft's Windows Phone 7, this was perhaps inevitable. Heck, the writing seemed to be on the wall since Palm for the last five years. Thus passes an era in the mobile space, and not for lack of real innovation. WebOS could've been and might yet still be a contender, but Palm's lack of reach and deep pockets makes the company's sale inevitable. What could say HTC or any other buyer do with a ready-made modern OS of its own? I think we're about to find out.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

I was so ready to buy a Pre when it was first announced. Palm really meant it when they said it was Sprint exclusive though!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Stinger
Thinker

I doubt anyone sane would buy Palm at the this stage. Yes, they've got a decent OS and a boat-load of parents but they're a sinking ship. Palm are losing money at a fantastic rate for such a small company. Their operating income for 2009 was -$301 million, or -$320,000 per employee.

Whoever comes in will need money, patience and a lot of skill. I can only see one of up-and-coming Chinese manufacturers buying Palm.