Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Oops! Microsoft Expired Your Office Mobile 2010 Beta

http://blogs.technet.com/office2010...-april-5th.aspx

If you were beta testing the new Office Mobile 2010 suite of productivity apps on your Windows Mobile 6.5 device, you may have noticed it isn't working anymore. This is because it expired on April 5. While this info was given in the details when you signed up for the beta, Microsoft didn't do their usual announcements reminding beta testers of the pending expiration date.

"The Beta expired on April 5, 2010. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. While the expiration date was mentioned in the product terms of use, we realize that you may have questions and we decided to answer them in today’s blog post."

The blog has the steps you can take to get a working copy of the previous version of Office Mobile on your device, though it might cost you some cash if your device didn't ship with Office. It does make me wonder how many people were actually testing it. The only place I heard about this issue was after MS posted their mea culpa, which was two days after the apps died. Were you testing it and if so, did you notice it quit working?

Old 04-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Fritzly
Sage

The biggest issue is that is unclear when Office Mobile 2010 suite will be available.
This is the first time I have seen a Beta expires before the RTM version of the product is offered.
Great coordination indeed.....

Old 04-10-2010, 05:33 PM
efjay
Theorist

Another screwup by MS...

Old 04-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Looks like it is in the Marketplace for $29.99. Doesn't specify it is 2010 in the Marketplace on line, but if you buy it, it does say 2010.

Last edited by Sven Johannsen; 04-10-2010 at 08:33 PM..

Old 04-11-2010, 01:45 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Strange, mine is still working...

Old 04-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Rob Alexander
Sage

I put in on my Imagio and really didn't see what was so new and great about it. The change I really wanted was the one they talked about in their blog, about Pocket Outlook email allowing more than one Exchange client, but that wasn't included in the beta. (Will there be a new email client in the release version, I wonder?) Given that the other apps had nothing new that I actually needed, when I had to exchange my phone for a warranty replacement, I simply didn't install the beta again. It wasn't worth the effort. Now I'm glad I didn't since it would have been a pain, apparently, to get my old version back on.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
This is the first time I have seen a Beta expires before the RTM version of the product is offered.
Great coordination indeed.....
Doesn't the Office 2010 beta (desktop version for WIndows) also expire before the release version? I sort of lost track of that and didn't know if an RC was going to be made available.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Alexander View Post
I put in on my Imagio and really didn't see what was so new and great about it. The change I really wanted was the one they talked about in their blog, about Pocket Outlook email allowing more than one Exchange client, but that wasn't included in the beta. (Will there be a new email client in the release version, I wonder?)
I think that Pocket Outlook is on the device and not part of the Office Mobile suite, so any updates to tasks, calendar, contacts and email would be part of an OS update. As for multiple Exchange support, that would be nice, but that would also be a big update to the Activesync client as well.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
Doesn't the Office 2010 beta (desktop version for WIndows) also expire before the release version? I sort of lost track of that and didn't know if an RC was going to be made available.
No, no, you are safe; Office 2010 Beta expires in October 2010, general availability for the Suite is expected in June if I recalled correctly.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:17 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
No, no, you are safe; Office 2010 Beta expires in October 2010, general availability for the Suite is expected in June if I recalled correctly.
Think it's sooner than that
https://microsoft.crgevents.com/Regi...Selection.aspx