Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Microsoft Updates My Phone to Version 1.6

http://myphone.microsoft.com

If you're not already using Microsoft's My Phone service, you should be. It's free, and offers some really nice features - with version 1.6, they've added the ability for you to manage and edit your contacts from the My Phone Web interface. I can't test this feature because I use a hosted Exchange account [Affiliate] so My Phone doesn't sync my PIM data, but for some people, a service like this is all they need to manage and sync their contacts. It's a shame it doesn't tie into the contacts from Windows Live/Hotmail - hopefully that's coming up soon. v.1.6 also allows you to upload photos from your PC to the My Phone service, which then pushes them down to your phone. Lastly, this new version allows you to sync My Phone using WiFi - which I thought it already did, but apparently not.

Microsoft is rapidly improving the My Phone service, which is great to see. If they can get to the point that it syncs contacts, calendar, and tasks with the Windows Live equivalents directly, that will be a great step forward. You can already do some of that using Windows Live on your phone, but that's limited to a contacts sync. All the pieces are slowly moving together, so I think by the time Windows phone 7 comes out, there will be some really powerful cloud-sync offerings in place from Microsoft.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:44 PM
efjay
Theorist

That functionality has always been there AFAIK, used it previously. To be honest there doesnt seem to be any visible improvements or enhancements to either the client application or web interface with this update, must be backend fixes.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:23 PM
GreatDay
Pupil

Like most problems digital, it was probably User Error, but I just gave up on this thing. Every time I'd get my contacts or whatever straightened out, I'd sync with MyPhone and it would produce duplicate entries all over, Over and Over. I figured I was doing something wrong but it just became not-worth-it to waste time figuring it out. It should be simpler to tell it to default to what's current on the phone or what's in the Cloud. Ruined it for me even trying it again.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:33 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I can't test this feature because I use a hosted Exchange account [Affiliate]
Something is really, really messed up. The Pre and the Pixi will work with multiple Exchange accounts but afaict nothing else will. You can't even set up multiple Exchange accounts in a fully up-to-date copy of Outlook 2007.

I use and love 4SmartPhone but I'd also like to be able to set up my Google Account as an Exchange Account in Outlook, if only to be able to drag and drop items between the two accounts.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:40 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

I use MyPhone for about a year now. Nevere had any problems, as far as duplicate contacts, It happenswhen you force sync. And then again, log in to your account on your pc, and you have an option to clean up dups. I think MyPhone is one of the best "cloud" things that MS come up with. If only there were an option to sync with Hotmail or Outlook at least, like Exchange.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:36 AM
chrisspera
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to chrisspera Send a message via AIM to chrisspera Send a message via MSN to chrisspera Send a message via Yahoo to chrisspera

I know this is like, sacrilege; but I'd love to be able to use MyPhone on my Android device. If MS wants to make any in-rodes on the Android market, this might be a good place to start.

I just bought a Nexus One, use it as my daily driver, and would really like to have been able to get all of my pictures, text messages, etc. back from MyPhone.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:15 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
That functionality has always been there AFAIK, used it previously.
Weird. The reason I posted on this was because I got an email a few days go announcing the new features in 1.6...??

Old 04-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Richard76
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDay View Post
Like most problems digital, it was probably User Error, but I just gave up on this thing. Every time I'd get my contacts or whatever straightened out, I'd sync with MyPhone and it would produce duplicate entries all over, Over and Over. I figured I was doing something wrong but it just became not-worth-it to waste time figuring it out. It should be simpler to tell it to default to what's current on the phone or what's in the Cloud. Ruined it for me even trying it again.
Interesting. I have my account set to sync automatically each night at midnight and it works flawlessly. In fact, I keep over 2,000 contacts in my Outlook database. My Outlook database syncs with my Fuze and Microsoft MyPhone, as well as with MobileMe and my iPhone. A little while ago I created some new folders in Outlook and copied (not moved) some contacts into these folders. About 1,200 contacts to be exact. One of the Contacts programs I have on my iPhone was somehow able to recognize these folders after a sync and duplicated all of of these contacts on my iPhone.

So, in order to clean this up, I deleted the extra folders in Outlook and re-synced again. Voila. The duplicate contacts were gone in MobileMe, my iPhone, Microsoft MyPhone and my Fuze. That's a lot of moving of information (including notes) and MyPhone didn't miss a beat. I'm impressed.