Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Accessories

Old 03-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default SanDisk Now Shipping 32GB MicroSDHC

http://sandisk.com/about-sandisk/pr...-microsdhc-card

"Smartphones have evolved far beyond the simple phone call. They serve as mobile offices, music players, movie theaters, cameras, video recorders, GPS devices and gateways to the mobile Internet. The highly-versatile 32GB SanDisk microSDHC card delivers immediate memory expansion that lets consumers enjoy the storage-intensive features of their advanced handsets. For example, the 32GB SanDisk microSDHC card can store enough music to outlast 35 round-trip flights between San Francisco and New York before repeating a single song."

I can remember how smug I was having two 1GB cards in my PDA back in the dark ages. Now they've put 16x that storage in a package the size of a fingernail, with a price in direct opposite proportion to its size. The card is so new that even SanDisk doesn't have any images of it in their media kit. BTW the wailing and gnashing of teeth you're hearing is me blowing off steam because Microsoft isn't allowing external storage on WP7S. I know, people are saying that 2GB to 8GB is enough on a phone - I beg to differ. I've currently got 16GB and I'm constantly juggling the media content. Anybody else in my boat? Who else is willing to donate an arm and a leg for this mighty mite?

Old 03-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Just for kicks.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/03/20/before-and-after/

Old 03-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
BTW the wailing and gnashing of teeth you're hearing is me blowing off steam because Microsoft isn't allowing external storage on WP7S. I know, people are saying that 2GB to 8GB is enough on a phone - I beg to differ. I've currently got 16GB and I'm constantly juggling the media content. Anybody else in my boat? Who else is willing to donate an arm and a leg for this mighty mite?
I am going to buy one next week, I was eagerly waiting for a 32GB card.
As for MS I will take a sabbatical year, probably with Android; when MS will launch WP7.1, 7.2 or 8 I willl look at it. Right now they seem to be in a psychedelic trip...... a deep and long one.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:38 PM
mmidgley
Intellectual

We should start to see some price reductions on these 32gb cards just in time for the holiday season and Microsoft's new... oh, wait. nevermind.

m.

Last edited by mmidgley; 03-23-2010 at 02:41 PM..

Old 03-23-2010, 05:09 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

I've got less than 500 MB free on my 32 GB iPhone, so yes this interests me. I've been playing with the Google Nexus One for the last week or so, and drooling over the prospect of either the HD2 or the HTC Supersonic too. However, the lack of on-board memory leaves me looking back at the iPhone.

I'm basically lazy about managing my music collection, don't want to have to carry multiple devices, but want my choice of music whenever (along with a few movies too! ) Now admittedly, I've got a couple of GPS apps on the iPhone that take up about 3 GB of space all by themselves, but still....

The only downer is the price. We can buy a 32 GB iPod touch for about $75.00 more than the retail on this card. I'm sure the price will drop pretty rapidly on these though, much like the 16 GB cards did when they came out. I also wonder if the next version of the iPhone might feature 64 GB of storage, once again putting those that rely on removable memory behind.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:15 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
As for MS I will take a sabbatical year, probably with Android; when MS will launch WP7.1, 7.2 or 8 I willl look at it. Right now they seem to be in a psychedelic trip...... a deep and long one.
Just want to say in regards to this - I'm currently trying out the Nexus One. Very nice phone, Google has done a decent job tying the phone, messaging, etc. together. But....third party apps are a wasteland compared to what you can get on WM today. You may be happier sticking with WM 6.whatever for a year or so.

In either case - Android or WM 6.x - having a 32 GB card installed is a big plus if you are one that has lots of media that you want to access from one place.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:48 PM
CeluGeek
Pupil

This is good news. Hopefully the price of 16 GB cards comes down and their availability (beyond a few online retailers) comes up, as the 32 GB cards take their place in the retail food chain.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:13 AM
Russ Smith
Intellectual

I've currently got at 16GB card in my phone and would love to have more media space. (When I was carrying my PDA, I had a 32GB SDHC _and_ a 32GB CF card installed.)

One beauty of WM up to this point has been its extensibility. I tend to get a little testy when anyone begins a sentence with "People don't really need..."

Old 03-24-2010, 03:19 AM
Twain
Ponderer

Does anyone know whether or not the HTC Touch Pro 2 can handle a 32 GB card? I have the impression that all of the advertising and spec sheets on the HTC website indicate 16 GB max.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:21 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
The only downer is the price. We can buy a 32 GB iPod touch for about $75.00 more than the retail on this card.
And this is what gets me testy. You need to sign a contract to get that price for the iPhone. The memory card? You pay for it once. And you can get another if you want.