Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-20-2010, 07:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Office Mobile For Windows Phone 7 Series

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/19/...eries-revealed/

"We actually haven't seen any official shots of the Office apps for Windows Phone 7 Series, but now that Microsoft's emulator has been hacked and unlocked, we've got a glimpse of what creating a Word doc in OneNote looks like -- and while there's a high probability that this a super-early version of the app, it's still revealing in how drastically minimal it is."

There's a couple of video run throughs as well, mostly showing off what's available in the emulator, but with sneak peeks at the Office apps as well. Don't expect to do anything more than basic editing (at least, not yet), but you know - at least they're there.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Among the many, unanswered by MS questions about this new phone there is one that is oc capital importance for business users:

How the WP7 will sync Calendar, Contacts, OneNote etc. ?

Besides the fact that I do not see Corporations being happy to install Zune on business desktops the software does not sync the above mentioned apps. Will users still have to use WMDC or MS in its infinite wisdom expect everybody to sync OTA? Based on what I have read lately the latter would not surprise me at all........

Old 03-20-2010, 10:23 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

I just don't see myself using Office and not to be able cut and paste data between applications!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:18 AM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Most of the demos I've seen so far have shown pretty good integration with the email portion of the MS suite (including multiple Outlook accounts!), but have been relatively silent on Office integration.

I do remember reading somewhere (may have just been a rumour tho) that MS was going to push sync'ing via MS Live (or something like that) to contacts, docs, etc. on a 'cloud' server somewhere. I can't see a lot of enterprises, especially here in Canada where we have fairly strict privacy laws about where things can be stored, going for that kind of model. Unless, MS supports syncing with a private, enterprise cloud....

Would be nice if MS gave us a more complete picture of what they have in mind, but I suspect the focus has been on the consumer market and experience. Enterprise use of WM7 is appearing to be an afterthought at best.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Fritzly
Sage

As I said before I do not know what solution MS is planning but the lack of any comment by Jason about this means only one thing.......... bad news on this matter too.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:31 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tolson View Post
Would be nice if MS gave us a more complete picture of what they have in mind, but I suspect the focus has been on the consumer market and experience. Enterprise use of WM7 is appearing to be an afterthought at best.
Remember when we used to complain that it was the other way around?

Old 03-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhisham Hussein View Post
Don't expect to do anything more than basic editing (at least, not yet), but you know - at least they're there.
Will Microsoft Office Mobile ever compete with Softmaker Office for WinMo?

Actually, what's the point of productivity apps when you don't have copy and paste?

Old 03-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
"In media stat virtus"
They just moved from an extreme to the opposite one; it was unbalanced before, it is unbalanced now....

Old 03-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Yep, I remember the screams that Pocket PC and WM were too 'techie/nerdy' and not focussed on the average joe using a phone.

HOWEVER, I also have been around long enough to remember where PPC and WM came from -- the idea to have a single, modular operating system which could be used in a variety of consumer devices, tailorable by the manufacturer/vendor to their particular requirements. The idea was to have PPC/WM as the O/S for in-car media players, navigation systems, handheld devices of any type, etc. etc. etc. It was never intended to be a 'phone' o/s, but yep, it worked for that too.

So, in a way, I'm glad to see that MS has decided to start over again with a phone o/s for this marketplace. But as I said before, the enterprise integration seems to have taken a somewhat backseat to the consumer experience at this point. Maybe in a future version....

Old 03-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
As I said before I do not know what solution MS is planning but the lack of any comment by Jason about this means only one thing.......... bad news on this matter too.
You might also take this as potentially covered under NDA. It is very frustrating at times to know things that cannot be released, good or bad, and even more frustrating when you can't remember if you read it on the web or heard it under NDA.