Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Marketplace Can Revoke Application's License - Remotely!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/17/...e-app-licenses/

"Speaking at a MIX10 session about Windows Phone 7 Series architecture this morning, Microsoft's Istvan Cseri mentioned that the Windows Phone Marketplace -- the one and only clearinghouse for apps in WP7S -- will be able to remotely revoke licenses. Since devices will only run properly-licensed apps, this effectively means the company will be able to shut down apps remotely -- a capability they'd probably invoke if a Marketplace app were to badly misbehave en masse, for example."

The paranoid in me says "Whoa... what if I want that app". The sane person in me says this is actually a good thing - it can be invoked to prevent bad applications from messing up the phone experience. While it sacrifices flexibility, it increases the likelihood that your Windows Phone 7 Series experience will be much better than (certainly) Windows Mobile 6.5. Now lets just hope that this 'bad' applications discipline extends to provider bloatware!

Old 03-18-2010, 06:50 PM
frankenbike
Intellectual

As long as Microsoft has a mechanism that refunds what you paid for the app, maybe it's OK.

But honestly, it's just another thing where WMP7 sounds like iPhone 2007.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:56 PM
ibap
Neophyte
Default Say what?

What makes them think that a 'badly behaved' app will let itself be revoked? And can you picture the effect of any serious bugs in their system?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Not that it was needed but this is a further reason not buy WP7....
It also creates a very bad precedent to further undermine the rights of people who buy any kind of software.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:24 PM
doogald
Oracle

How many times has Apple remotely revoked an app in almost two years now? I know that they have pulled apps from the app store, but I believe that none of them were actually revoked from users's handsets after purchase. I imagine that Microsoft will be similarly careful about this, only using it when it is clear that it is damaging to end-users (i.e., keystroke logging and what-not.)

Old 03-18-2010, 08:48 PM
efjay
Theorist

Isn't this capability already in the current marketplace?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
Isn't this capability already in the current marketplace?
Honestly I do not know, never used it; I never used Apple market too......

Old 03-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
How many times has Apple remotely revoked an app in almost two years now? I know that they have pulled apps from the app store, but I believe that none of them were actually revoked from users's handsets after purchase. I imagine that Microsoft will be similarly careful about this, only using it when it is clear that it is damaging to end-users (i.e., keystroke logging and what-not.)
Amazon did it, din't it?
But beyond who did and did not..... yet, I do not delegate to any private commercial entity this kind of power over me.
Others will not have the same concerns and will play along, fine for me as long as we have the freedom to choose.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Dyvim
Sage

So Apple, Google, and Microsoft all have app kill switches in their stores (and I don't know but I assume that Palm does too). So what? They'd be negligent not to in case a virus or some other malware mistakenly gets out there onto people's devices. AFAIK, no one has had to use the kill switch yet for anything even though Apple has removed any # of offending apps from being sold in its store, those who did purchase copies before they were yanked can continue to use them to this day. Anyway, much ado about nothing IMO.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:03 PM
frankenbike
Intellectual

Yeah, it's that "power over me" and something I paid for that irks me the most.

All I can think, is the difference between 7 and what we like is that there won't be something like O!Market, where you can get useful, free apps. Omarket, instant freeware for Windows Mobile - FreewarePocketPC

It really shows how the MS Marketplace strangles the phone. Sure, not everything on O!Market is ready for primetime, but a lot of things work and are useful, and they are NOT available on Marketplace. Thousands of apps at the moment, though the initiative would have to start from scratch with 7.

edit: though now that I've done a little more research, Android and the iPhone have alternative app stores, so maybe that will be possible with WMP7 too.

Last edited by frankenbike; 03-18-2010 at 10:06 PM..