Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!


Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...




Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Jason Dunn's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 29,160
Default Managing Your Photos, Videos, and Music Using the Zune Software

<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.intomobile.com/2010/03/15/zune-and-windows-phone-7-series-a-look-at-how-to-manage-music-from-your-desktop.html' target='_blank'>http://www.intomobile.com/2010/03/1...ur-desktop.html</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"The Zune desktop software isn't just a music manager for your computer - it will serve as the music manager for your Windows Phone 7 Series handset. Just connect your Windows Phone to your computer and Zune automatically detects your phone, The "Device" tab allows you to browse, manage, and delete music directly on your phone. All changes are instantly reflected on the handset's Zune hub. Take that, iTunes!"</em></p><p><object width="600" height="360" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/oSLYyd4F79I&amp;ap=%26fmt=18" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oSLYyd4F79I&amp;ap=%26fmt=18" /></object></p><p>This is old hat to any Zune owners out there, but if you've never used the Zune desktop software before and you're wondering what it will be like to manage your content and sync it to your phone, here's a brief video demonstrating exactly that. I can't tell you how excited I am to be able to use this! Here's one reason why: when I sync my Zune HD to my PC, I have a Sync Group defined in the Zune software that will automatically sync the last 90 days of photos. So I always have the most recent photos I've taken on my Zune HD, and I don't have to do anything to get that. With my HTC HD2? The photos are two months out of date already, because I have to export the photos from Picasa in a mobile-friendly resolution, then connect my HD2, and drag and drop the folders of photos over into the right directory on the phone. That process sucks. Bring on the Zune software sync - it's going to rock!</p>
__________________
Want to contact me personally? Use this. Want to read my personal blog? Check it out. Want to follow me on Twitter? Here you go.
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Fritzly
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 740

The zune software is indeed much better than Media Player and I use it on my PC. Unfortunately the other news about WP7 are really disppointing:

No "true" multi-tasking

Apps only available via Windows Market Place (yes I read a vague references about "Enterprises" that will be able to use cabs but no mention of how and what "Enterprise" means in MS terms)

Unanswered speculations that the apps bought on the Market Place will be tied to the specific device.

Lack of removable storage.

I am seriously considering to buy another HD2 jsut in case something happens to my one while waiting for the iPhone 4 or the next Android.

A long farewell MS.......
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-16-2010, 04:16 AM
efjay
Theorist
efjay's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
The zune software is indeed much better than Media Player and I use it on my PC. Unfortunately the other news about WP7 are really disppointing:

No "true" multi-tasking

Apps only available via Windows Market Place (yes I read a vague references about "Enterprises" that will be able to use cabs but no mention of how and what "Enterprise" means in MS terms)

Unanswered speculations that the apps bought on the Market Place will be tied to the specific device.

Lack of removable storage.

I am seriously considering to buy another HD2 jsut in case something happens to my one while waiting for the iPhone 4 or the next Android.

A long farewell MS.......
I was originally all for WP7S, hoping for a good positive rebirth but I agree with your sentiments, I will probably eventually move to symbian but it looks like MS has decided to flat out copy the iphone feature for feature, just wrapped in a different shell. All the negatives of the iphone are here being presented as positive features.

Someone, somewhere knows what possessed MS to just apply no thinking of their own and copy a competitor and produce what is basically a Microsoft branded iphone, I can only hope its failure is swift so we can quickly forget this travesty.
__________________
Back to being The Last Windows Mobile Fanboy - now with a Dell Venue Pro!
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-16-2010, 05:34 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Jason Dunn's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 29,160

I'm curious, for you guys complaining about the lack of true multi-tasking, have you used an iPhone/iPod Touch? Have you seen how application states can be kept and restored? I have to wonder how often true multi-tasking is required, versus really smart application state restores. As in, you're writing an email, you need to look up something on the Web, so you hit the start button, open up a Web browser, find the information you're looking for, then press the back button - and you're looking at the email you were just working on - as if it never went anywhere. I don't know if that's how it's going to work on Windows phone 7, but that's the way it should work if Microsoft is thinking clearly about things (and that's the way it works on my iPod Touch for instance). And hopefully there will be some apps that keep working regarding of state - music players, GPS software, etc.

My point is that it's fine to rant and rail about the loss of multi-tasking, but until you see the implementation and think about how much you really need multi-tasking, is it work getting so upset about?

Also, when's the last time you removed the microSD card in your phone - and how much storage space are you using on it? For myself, I've had an 8 GB microSD card in my phone for months. I'm using maybe 1 GB total, and I've never taken the card out for any reason. So if I get a phone with 8 GB or 16 GB, I'd probably be quite happy with it. Would I prefer to have a microSD card slot? Sure! I wanted the Zune HD to have a microSD card slot as well, but it's not enough of a negative to upset me that much.
__________________
Want to contact me personally? Use this. Want to read my personal blog? Check it out. Want to follow me on Twitter? Here you go.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-16-2010, 11:18 AM
efjay
Theorist
efjay's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 274

Jason,

I have never used those products you mention but in my use multitasking takes various forms, from running MyPhone and switching to PIE or email, browsing marketplace and using twikini, using Navigon and taking a phone call and sometimes playing a game and moving to another program. The point is there is no set series of activities I perform but the fact that I CAN perform them without being hampered in any way is something that is important to me. I dont think such varied scenarios will be possible with the MS iphone.

As for SD card storage, I use an 8GB card and until recently I had just over 1GB left after uninstalling my second GPS program after buying Navigon. But more importantly with a card slot I am not at the mercy of device manufacturers and the amount of storage they decide to make available on their devices. Some people need more, some need less and some people's needs will change as they use the device so what do you do when you want more storage, buy a whole new device? HTC is notorious for skimping on thier hardware and I can guarantee their devices will ship with the minimum amount of allowed storage. Its a stupid, stupid decision and MS look incredibly foolish for basically cloning the iphone and trying to pass it off as something new.
__________________
Back to being The Last Windows Mobile Fanboy - now with a Dell Venue Pro!
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Fritzly
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I'm curious, for you guys complaining about the lack of true multi-tasking, have you used an iPhone/iPod Touch? Have you seen how application states can be kept and restored? I have to wonder how often true multi-tasking is required, versus really smart application state restores. As in, you're writing an email, you need to look up something on the Web, so you hit the start button, open up a Web browser, find the information you're looking for, then press the back button - and you're looking at the email you were just working on - as if it never went anywhere. I don't know if that's how it's going to work on Windows phone 7, but that's the way it should work if Microsoft is thinking clearly about things (and that's the way it works on my iPod Touch for instance). And hopefully there will be some apps that keep working regarding of state - music players, GPS software, etc.

My point is that it's fine to rant and rail about the loss of multi-tasking, but until you see the implementation and think about how much you really need multi-tasking, is it work getting so upset about?

Also, when's the last time you removed the microSD card in your phone - and how much storage space are you using on it? For myself, I've had an 8 GB microSD card in my phone for months. I'm using maybe 1 GB total, and I've never taken the card out for any reason. So if I get a phone with 8 GB or 16 GB, I'd probably be quite happy with it. Would I prefer to have a microSD card slot? Sure! I wanted the Zune HD to have a microSD card slot as well, but it's not enough of a negative to upset me that much.
Actually I am amazed to see so many people who complained for years about the iPhone lack of multitasking are suddendly becoming so accomodating when MS drop it.

As for SD cards the problem is not what I need now but what I may need..... tomorrow; one thing is to buy a $50 SD card, another replace an entire handset. Furthermore be reassured that the price you pay right now for GB of space is much lower than what hardware manufacturer will charge you with these WP7 phones, Apple docet.
And again, a lot of complains when Apple lacked removable storage but now that MS does....... it is a Copernican revolution.....

Last edited by Fritzly; 03-16-2010 at 12:12 PM..
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,520

I'm a little concerned about using the Zune software to manage my phone. Don't get me wrong I think the software is great and is a fine solution at home. But I also connect my phone with my work computer to sync my calendar and contacts.

Being able to install Activesync on my desktop is one thing. Installing a full-on media content conglomerate like the Zune software is another. I will miss the streamlined process. On my work computer anyway.
__________________

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Jason Dunn's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 29,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
I have never used those products you mention but in my use multitasking takes various forms, from running MyPhone and switching to PIE or email, browsing marketplace and using twikini, using Navigon and taking a phone call and sometimes playing a game and moving to another program. The point is there is no set series of activities I perform but the fact that I CAN perform them without being hampered in any way is something that is important to me. I dont think such varied scenarios will be possible with the MS iphone.
If you've never used an operating system that does application state restore, it's a bit odd that you're so convinced Windows phone 7 is going to suck in that regard. Why get mad about what you don't understand yet?

It's too early to say how Windows phone 7 will handle those tasks, but theoretically, nearly everything you mention above would be possible without the need for multitasking (the exception might be GPS). For instance, there are certain apps that should be allowed to run in the background - music players and phone calls for instance - and others are "frozen" and restored in exactly the same state they were in before. If you're thinking this means it's the same experience as starting up an application today, that's not the way it will work (hopefully).

For instance, this morning I was using my iPod Touch (it's my alarm clock) and was typing a new email to someone. I needed to look something up, so I punched the home button, went into another app, then went back into the email app - and my in-progress email was back on the screen exactly as I had left it. That's powerful stuff, because it's identical the behaviour you'd expect if you were multi-tasking. So the key here is not whether multi-tasking is 100% required, it's whether the phone can deliver all the benefits of multi-tasking without any of the penalties.

We haven't heard anything about notifications on Windows phone 7 yet either - maybe there are ways for developers to tie into a system that gives them priority on the system without having to have their apps running. We know already that the live tiles on the start screen will dynamically update with content, so clearly there are background processes going on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
But more importantly with a card slot I am not at the mercy of device manufacturers and the amount of storage they decide to make available on their devices. Some people need more, some need less and some people's needs will change as they use the device so what do you do when you want more storage, buy a whole new device?
I understand where you're coming from - I feel the same way about the Zune HD. I'd *love* to be able to go out today and buy a 16 GB microSD card, put it in the Zune HD, and double my storage from 16 GB to 32 GB. Maybe my opinion will change once I start using my phone as my Zune; I'm not sure. Ultimately though if I can get a phone with 8 GB or 16 GB of on-board storage, I'd be pretty happy with that. I suspect the average person would as well.
__________________
Want to contact me personally? Use this. Want to read my personal blog? Check it out. Want to follow me on Twitter? Here you go.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Jason Dunn's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 29,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson View Post
But I also connect my phone with my work computer to sync my calendar and contacts.
You won't be connecting your device at work to sync calendar and contacts. The Zune software doesn't sync PIM data. I think that's all I can say right now.
__________________
Want to contact me personally? Use this. Want to read my personal blog? Check it out. Want to follow me on Twitter? Here you go.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Fritzly
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
If you've never used an operating system that does application state restore, it's a bit odd that you're so convinced Windows phone 7 is going to suck in that regard. Why get mad about what you don't understand yet?
Could it be because we all know how 6.5 handles multi-tasking but nobody knows how exactly MS will implement it in WP 7 and therefore there are people who are concerned?
Leaving the old way for the new one you know what you leave but not what you get........


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Ultimately though if I can get a phone with 8 GB or 16 GB of on-board storage, I'd be pretty happy with that. I suspect the average person would as well.
Until you and others will consider the price per GB using a 16 GB SD card and the "Premium" price HTC and company will charge you to get a handset with the same amount of space. Actually you use an iPod so I am sure you are already aware of this "detail"....

Not to mention the obvious lack of flexibility; I will soon replace the 16Gb card in my HD2 with a 32 GB one; with a WP 7 phone I would need to replace the handset..... now this is a giant improvement! (Sarcasm)

Last edited by Fritzly; 03-16-2010 at 10:16 PM..
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:29 AM.