Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default YouTube 2.4 Released For Windows Mobile

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/20...le+Mobile+Blog)

"Last March, we launched the YouTube Mobile app for Nokia S60 and Windows Mobile phones. Since then, the application was translated to 12 languages, installed on millions of devices around the world, and has been chosen as a Nokia Ovi Top App of 2009. Today we're excited to announce the release of the latest version of the YouTube Mobile app, version 2.4."

Looks like Google has updated their YouTube app for Windows Mobile, so if viewing video on your phone is a high priority, head over to get the download.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

This is great to see, because on the HTC side of things they have their app on most of their devices - though not all - but for everyone else, there's basically no good option...

Old 03-12-2010, 06:30 AM
heliod
Intellectual

Hmmm... tryied to upgrade the application I had in my device. I get a "device not supported" screen. It is really funny to get such a message from the upgrade of an application that is already installed in the device.....

Tried with PIE and with Opera through the direct link, same results.

It seems that the page in google still does not know how to recognize the version of PIE that comes with WM6.5.

If I try the same link at the desktop, it downloads a file called download (without extension), so no idea what that is.

I guess I will have to find a 6.1 device in order to download that. Or wait until Youtube gets their act together.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

One more reason that apps should place themselves in the marketplace. Problem is, I still don't get the incentive to get a developer to pay $99 to put their free app in there.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

I got it installed ok on my WM6.5.5 Touch Pro, but it doesn't look like the picture shown, nor is it that much different from v2.1

I got a number of 'codec not supported' messages when I tried to actually view video, then after a soft reset, those went away, but most videos don't display as video -- just stationary pictures. I suspect some interface code is missing.

v2.1 worked just fine.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:13 AM
heliod
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tolson View Post
I got it installed ok on my WM6.5.5 Touch Pro, but it doesn't look like the picture shown, nor is it that much different from v2.1

I got a number of 'codec not supported' messages when I tried to actually view video, then after a soft reset, those went away, but most videos don't display as video -- just stationary pictures. I suspect some interface code is missing.

v2.1 worked just fine.
How did you manage to get to it?

Old 03-13-2010, 01:26 PM
psyjohn
Ponderer

I also got the "Device not supported" message, but if you search around online you can find it as a downloadable cab. I'd rather not advertise the site I found it on, but it's out there.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliod View Post
How did you manage to get to it?
Go to m.youtube.com/app with the browser on your phone, and it will automatically start to download.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:29 PM
k1darkknight
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to k1darkknight Send a message via Yahoo to k1darkknight

Ummm...
I have the T-Mobile version of the Touch Pro 2. I installed the WM6.5 official update, and the version of Youtube that comes with it (and maybe non-updated T-mobile TP2's too) claims that it is version 2.6
whutupwitdat???