Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Detailed 17 Minute Walk-Through of Windows phone 7

Sometimes there are advantages to living nearby to Microsoft - Chris Pirillo got some hands-on time with a Windows 7 phone via a walk-through with Microsoft's Greg Sullivan. Well worth watching!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Interesting interview, I noted something wierd though: the phone the guy was showing did not have the "Office Hub". I wonder why.....

What I did not like is that it seems that users will only able to get applications through Marketplace; this is a pity because I really like the phone but if the lack of ability to use .cabs will be confirmed I will have to move to Android.

Last edited by Fritzly; 03-06-2010 at 07:23 AM..

Old 03-06-2010, 09:24 AM
drakescz
Neophyte
Default windows phone 7

I believe the green boxy interface is UGLY. Looks like it is supposed to be Geeky Cool.

I noted in this 17 + minute interview, no one mentioned the 800 lb gorilla in the room: Google. I seriously tried BING a few times after its launch. Just didn't feel right, didn't like the results. Went back to Google and haven't tried Bing for months. I use Google for just about EVERYTHING: searches, email, maps. This new Windows offering seems to be tied to Microsoft products. It even has a Bing Button.

At this rate, I won't be buying one. Microsoft seems to be making a lame attempt to copy the control freaks at Apple. Not let you out of the walled garden. Reminds me of AOL.

I've used MS smartphone through four phones. I am hoping someone comes up with an Android phone that I really like. Meanwhile, I'm hoping my HTC Touch Pro 2 lasts for another year.

Google seems on the right track, let the customer decide what he wants to do.

I see MS is saying they will continue to support OS 6.5. Hmmmmm, shades of Vista maybe?

Old 03-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
Interesting interview, I noted something wierd though: the phone the guy was showing did not have the "Office Hub". I wonder why.....
It's not code-complete yet. If you recall during the live MWC demo, the Office Hub was a screen shot...it wasn't shown on the live device.

Quote:
What I did not like is that it seems that users will only able to get applications through Marketplace; this is a pity because I really like the phone but if the lack of ability to use .cabs will be confirmed I will have to move to Android.
Yes, I believe that's going to be the case - all apps via Marketplace, and no cab file installs. Why is that a significant issue for you though? What are you using that requires cab file installs that can't be installed via the developer's release of their app on Marketplace? Freeware that will never make its way onto Marketplace?

Old 03-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Pdaholic
Intellectual

I know this Windows 7 is not in it the final iteration yet, but I have to say that sometimes when the demonstrator swipes, the animations don't look smooth. Android still has some issues with smooth scrolling, particularly while web browsing. iPhones seem to have the smoothest scrolling. Not that big of a deal, but just something I noticed watching the video.

I also have to say that the screens look a bit "jumbled" with different size boxes that are unevenly placed on the screen and differing fonts. I guess the aesthetics will have to grow on me more.

As for the marketplace and cabs, I have no doubt that Windows 7 will be cracked or "jailbroken" not long after it is released. Rest assured, Windows geeks will not let iPhone geeks claim all the glory. Of course, other issues arise from jailbreaking such as warranty voiding and so forth, but the user must decide how much it is worth to get more functionality from their phones.
Got a*PDA for sale: NEW Treo 700WX + Seidio Holster + Sync Cradlehttp://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=425447#425447

Old 03-07-2010, 11:57 AM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph

I too noticed the slow response to screen touches - not sure whether the device had a capacitive screen or not - but I beleive from my own experience that this is a significant contributor to responsiveness - this is a real strength of the iPhone where even just typing needs the lightest of touches to get a response. This may however just be down to the OS not being fully optimised yet - so will wait to see.

The screen real estate is IMHO bizzare. For some it is going to put them off WP7. But again I will need to see a working device up close and personal in order to come to a valid conclusion.

Marketplace only eh? I can imagine that this will be unsavoury for a significant minority of potential users but for the majority of users will simplify app finding and if following the App Store will also vastly simplify the issues with app updates. I haven't found a problem with relying on the App store so not sure that would be an issue for me or most potential users.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
It's not code-complete yet. If you recall during the live MWC demo, the Office Hub was a screen shot...it wasn't shown on the live device.

Yes, I believe that's going to be the case - all apps via Marketplace, and no cab file installs. Why is that a significant issue for you though? What are you using that requires cab file installs that can't be installed via the developer's release of their app on Marketplace? Freeware that will never make its way onto Marketplace?
The issue I have with Marketplace is the same I have with the iPhone: I like to keep the software I buy stored on our server not in the so called "cloud".

If I decided to format the phone, or a computer, I prefer to have all the software I will reinstall available "in house".

I do not like closed systems where someone could dictate what I can use; I prefer the freedom of choosing......

Last edited by Fritzly; 03-08-2010 at 03:12 AM..

Old 03-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

I don't mind the start page, but I hope that we'll have the ability to put Outlook's full "adgenda view" on there and show more than one upcoming appointment. That's one feature I like a lot about the current WinMo platform. I like being able to take a quick glance at the entire day without fully going into the calendar, like the existing 6.x home screen.

The fact that apps can only be installed via marketplace doesn't bother me either. One of the advantages I see out of this is that we'll be able to update apps much easier. It may also force some developers to "get with the times" and release some updated software.

But I wonder if other small but extremely useful features will make it in WP7, like email/text auto-correct, auto-suggestions and VoiceCommand. PLEASE include VoiceCommand Microsoft! But how would VC work? There's only 3 buttons! On my TP2 I could invoke VoiceCommand by holding the left Phone button, but the dedicated phone buttons will be gone as well.

I'm bothered by the mandated 3 button rule Microsoft is forcing manufacturers to follow. At least give device makers the option to include more hardware buttons for quicker access to specific apps/features like making phone calls without having to press the Home button and then on the phone app.

Microsoft should hire me to do UI testing/discovery LOL. If an OS passes my standards we'll have a serious winner WP7 will loose major points if the other features haven't or won't be considered by MS.

Last edited by Eriq Cook; 03-08-2010 at 08:49 AM..

Old 03-09-2010, 04:25 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdaholic View Post
I know this Windows 7 is not in it the final iteration yet, but I have to say that sometimes when the demonstrator swipes, the animations don't look smooth.
Optimization of code for speed is usually the last step - if you look at the speed of the Zune HD, you can see what Microsoft can do with powerful hardware. I'm certain Windows phone 7 will be fast and snappy.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:29 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
If I decided to format the phone, or a computer, I prefer to have all the software I will reinstall available "in house".
But if all your software is readily and easily available in Marketplace, what's the problem? Are you concerned about something in particular happening? I've been impressed with Marketplace - when I pick up a new phone, and put in my Windows Live ID, I see the software I've purchased/downloaded and can easily download and install it again. It's fantastic! It's fast and easy, and I don't have to go back to my email, look up a registration number, or worst...email a developer a device ID. This is so much better than the older system, and developers are going to make more $$$ because it will be so much easier for people to buy software.