Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > HTC Windows Phones

Old 03-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default HTC HD2 Gets T-Mobile Leaked Release Date

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010...mobile-surface/

"One of our ninjas just dropped some tantalizing and blurry details for us to feast on. We've been informed that T-Mobile will be releasing the Motorola CLIQ XT on March 10th, the HTC HD2 (listed as "Dark Handset" on the screen capture) is confirmed on March 24th, and a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbook, complete with T-Mobile broadband access, on the 24th as well."

While technically a rumor since we haven't had an official announcement yet (Come on T-Mo...!), this looks pretty solid as we've seen other references to the HD2 as the "Dark" handset. I predict come March 24 I'll be visiting a T-Mobile store!

Old 03-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Russ Smith
Intellectual

I jumped the gun on this one (and am happy I did. If I were a TMo customer, I'd probably have waited.) Still, it's good to see that the provider-supported version is coming soon.

I can't be too positive about this device. The 1GHz Snapdragon chews through programming at amazing speed and with decent response on everything I've throw at it. The graphics (especially HTCs weather app) are amazing. My only issue is the on-screen keyboard takes up too much room, but still occasionally mis-types (probably due to my prodigious paws rather than any flaw in the SIP). Otherwise the capacitive touch-screen works very well. I have no problems scrolling or re-sizing (using the pinch or spread two-finger move). There are finger-friendly pieces everywhere. For instance, the scroll-bars, usually very tiny bits along the edges of the screen, grow a larger scroll handle when you touch near them, allowing you to scroll with ease.

There's a lot of internal memory in this beast as well. I loaded up all kinds of apps, including the SoftMaker suite and still have space left for more. Although I periodically use the TaskManager to unload running apps, I've never had to, in order to free up RAM.

Battery life is phenomenal. I usually recharge every night, but the meter is still reading 80-85% when I do. The sound volume is great. The built-in speaker is absolutely loud enough to hear, even in a noisy environment, although a little tinny for listening to music. (That's what the headphones are for.) GPS is spot-on and also amazingly responsive. The built-in compass works well too.

One thing I did notice only after a while of using it is that the phone app uses the g-sensor so, when you take your phone away from your ear, it turns the screen back on. That's great because I'm usually moving the phone to type in additional information.

This one's definitely a keeper, even if it isn't getting an (official) WP7 update.