Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-04-2010, 05:00 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook
Default New Facebook App for Zune HD Gives Us Preview of WP7 Apps

http://pocketnow.com/software-1/zun...iew-of-wp7-apps

"At last, the Facebook application for the Zune HD has been released. It has elements of the Metro interface that Microsoft is utilizing on Windows Phone 7 Series devices, and so looking at the this rendition of Facebook, we can get a sense for how other apps would look on WP7"

Microsoft recently released a new Facebook app for the Zune HD that makes use of a few Metro UI elements that will be standard in Windows Phone 7. Other notable features include the ability to update your FB status with the current song you're playing with a link to the song's info page on Zune.net.

Although no Facebook features appear to have been limited, there have been a few bugs reported concerning connection difficulties and the News Feeds not appearing, but Microsoft is working on fixes as we speak.

The new Facebook app is available on the Zune Marketplace (accessible directly through the Zune HD). Have you had a chance to use the new Facebook app on the Zune HD? If so, tell us what you think...

Old 03-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

The Facebook app, while still broken for me tonight, is fast, beautiful, fluid, and incredibly easy to use. If that's what will be possible on Windows phone 7, wow, bring it on.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:36 AM
randalllewis
Thinker

I have been playing the Facebook app for the Zune HD today. It has worked flawlessly for me. I read there were connection issues on launch day but those appear to have been resolved. I have signed in several times without an issue. The locations I have been using to connect have all required a browser page to open before connection and that has worked without issue (although it is annoying).

I have posted status updates, commented on others, and posted my current Zune offerings all without issue. The interface is fast within Facebook. The only delay is moving from Facebook to the Zune main menu when you push the top button. Shaking the Zune to update Facebook is fun, but it isn't too hard to push "refresh" either.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:08 AM
randalllewis
Thinker

Quote:
The only delay is moving from Facebook to the Zune main menu when you push the top button.
I do know how to use my Zune. It's the front button.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalllewis View Post
I do know how to use my Zune. It's the front button.
Haha...I was kind of wondering when I read that, but I thought "Oh well, it must make sense to him". They delay you're seeing is, I think, the XNA framework being unloaded from memory and the system being brought back to the regular menu. It's definitely a pain point for anyone that uses apps, and the Zune team really needs to improve upon that!