Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-03-2010, 04:30 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Skype for Windows Mobile Dead and Buried

http://share.skype.com/sites/en/201...ile_lineup.html

"As part of our continual review of our mobile range, we've decided to make a few changes to our lineup. Skype Lite and Skype for Windows Phones are no longer available for download. This isn't a decision we've taken lightly, but the reason is simple. Neither of these apps offered a great Skype experience... with the latest version of the Windows Mobile OS, it's been increasingly challenging for us to maintain an app which behaves as you'd expect on a wide range of handsets without working with a mobile operator partner."

Skype's reasons for killing the development and availability of the Windows Mobile version of Skype may be questionable, but the fact is, it's happened. And it comes at a time when Skype is performing strongly on the iPhone and Symbian platforms, and is soon to make an appearance on a wide range of BlackBerry and Android handsets. Perhaps Windows Phone 7 Series is what Skype needs to make a return? Then again, maybe not. Time will tell.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:39 PM
soho_1
Pupil

Wall St. Journal reports:

STOCKHOLM�Underscoring the rapid evolution of free Internet-based telephony, handset maker Nokia Corp. Wednesday said it has made Skype available as a free download from its Ovi online store.

See also Reuters.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idCNL...0100303?rpc=44

* Skype unveils software for 200 mln Nokia phones

* Nokia says Ovi Store downloads at 1.5 mln/day

HELSINKI, March 3 (Reuters) - Internet telephony firm Skype took a second major leap into the wireless market in just a few weeks, unveiling software from top phone maker Nokia which could run on more than 200 million smartphones around the world.

The new Skype for Symbian software is available for free download from Nokia's Ovi Store to consumers globally.

Nokia said it was seeing in total around 1.5 million downloads a day from Ovi Store, compared with around 1 million three months ago.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Platform fragmentation pisses developers off, so this isn't surprising - though I think they could have simply targeted the newer breed of WVGA devices and left it at that.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:42 PM
AlCapone
Neophyte

- they stopped it at pocketPC, I removed it from my PC's - simple
-looking at google for solutions.. if not, I'll stick to SIP.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:23 PM
daS
Thinker

I just loaded the last version on my WVGA Tilt-2. It seems to work fine. But having said that, I don't think I'd miss Skype on my phone that much: I don't use all my national minutes each month as it is. For international, unless I'm at a Wi-Fi hotspot, the quality of VoIP is not good enough for me. If I am at a hotspot, I almost always have my laptop around and I use Skype on that.