Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Apple Suing HTC for Alleged 20 iPhone Patent Infringements

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/...iphone-patents/

"Looks like Apple's going on the warpath, kids. Just a few months after Cupertino got into it with Nokia over phone patents, Apple's filed suit against HTC, alleging that the company is infringing 20 patents "related to the iPhone's user interface, underlying architecture, and hardware.""

Jobs is ticked off that the world isn't worshiping his iPad and in a fit of childish rage, he commanded his minions to sue HTC so he'd feel better about himself. ;-) Seriously though, "Conserving Power By Reducing Voltage Supplied To An Instruction-Processing Portion Of A Processor" - it's patentable to reduce voltage to a chip? That's common sense I'd think...that's what bugs me about patents; most are not about inventing anything, they're about a concept, like left-right-left of your feet being walking. I think this is going to blow up in Apple's face; it makes them look weak and foolish, like they can't figure out what to do with the iPhone next, so they'll sue HTC to slow them down and get them off track. Personally, I think Microsoft should partner up with HTC and even Google, all three should dig into their patent chest, and blast back at Apple. Might as well make this a real throw-down. I'm all for companies defending their innovations, but this doesn't seem like that's what Apple is doing.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:10 PM
ntractv
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to ntractv

My sentiments exactly

Old 03-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Pdaholic
Intellectual

Why should Apple be upset? Various companies have been stealing their ideas for years, they should be used to it by now, LOL!

Sorry, probably in poor taste, but I had to say it...

Old 03-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Djblois
Pupil

But you cannot patent an idea!!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:38 PM
doogald
Oracle

We should hardly be surprised. A Steve Jobs quote from the January 2007 announcement of the iPhone:

Quote:
"We've been pushing the state of the art in every facet of this design. We've got the multi-touch screen, miniaturization, OS X in a mobile device, precision enclosures, three advanced sensors, desktop class applications, and the widescreen video iPod. We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
I do wonder, however, if some of these patents have prior art?

I suppose if you are going to go to the trouble and bother of patenting technology, you sort of commit yourself to suing when you think that they are infringed without license.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Macguy59
Mystic

About as childish and petty as Microsoft trying to cause a stink because it's not fair that Google has been in the search business so long ! All thats missing is a skirt for Mr. Ballmer and his followers.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Dyvim
Sage

Hmmm, while I think that patenting ideas is ridiculous and that the U.S. patent system is at best broken, I find it funny that this raises Jason's ire, but he wasn't particularly concerned about Nokia suing Apple, Apple suing Nokia, Kodak suing Apple and others recently (and countless others going back the past few years). Everyone's been suing everybody pretty much, but in this case Jobs is in a childish rage because his target is �ber-gizmo manufacturer HTC? I highly doubt that emotion played any role at all. Rather I think this was a cold, calculated business decision.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:22 PM
John Cody
Theorist

This might indirectly help Windows Phone 7...

If HTC and other hardware manufacturers start shying away from making devices that use android because of the risk of being sued by Apple, guess who they will probably migrate too?

Old 03-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Pdaholic
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post
Hmmm, while I think that patenting ideas is ridiculous and that the U.S. patent system is at best broken, I find it funny that this raises Jason's ire, but he wasn't particularly concerned about Nokia suing Apple, Apple suing Nokia, Kodak suing Apple and others recently (and countless others going back the past few years). Everyone's been suing everybody pretty much, but in this case Jobs is in a childish rage because his target is �ber-gizmo manufacturer HTC? I highly doubt that emotion played any role at all. Rather I think this was a cold, calculated business decision.
Thank goodness we have lawyers.
Got a*PDA for sale: NEW Treo 700WX + Seidio Holster + Sync Cradlehttp://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=425447#425447

Old 03-03-2010, 04:11 AM
Russ Smith
Intellectual

I'd agree with Jason that this highlights exactly what is wrong with the patent process these days. Patents are about protecting actual devices, not concepts. Patents are supposed to foster innovation (by protecting it for a time) rather than stifling it. One wonders what the world would be like if the folks at Xerox Park Labs had had the gall to patent the mouse and the GUI before the Apple folks paid them a visit.

The paper dump is an obvious ploy. It keeps the competition busy trying to dig through it all instead of focusing on new development.