Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook
Default More Chassis Specs Coming Down the Pipe for Windows phone 7 Series?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/23/...t-launch-two-m/

"...a pair of Microsoft developer evangelists on an Australian podcast are saying that Chassis 1 (full touchscreen, gigahertz processor, and dedicated graphics acceleration) will be the sole option at launch, with Chassis 2 and 3 following on after that. 2 is said to be "more like a Palm Treo" with a dedicated QWERTY keyboard, while 3 remains a mystery, though there's some speculation on the podcast that it could be a candybar -- a form factor that's becoming something of a lost art these days..."

My biggest concern about Windows phone 7 is about the chassis regulations by Microsoft and the lack of specific hardware features (as I stated in a recent rant). One of the contributing reasons I have stuck with the Windows Mobile platform throughout the years is the diversity of form factors. I would never buy an iPhone due to lack of physical keyboard (and other software limitations) because it drives me crazy hunting down every single button on a screen-only device.

I do expect expect Microsoft to allow several form factor choices for Windows phone 7 Series devices, and not limit us to the "Back, Start Menu and Search" button-only chassis. Only time will tell, but it would be a major killer for me if a Touch Pro II style form factor device running WP7 is out of the question. What do you think the "Chassis 3" form factor will be and what are your thoughts?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

Gosh, sounds like Jason's repeated praises of Windows Phone 7 Series' single size of screen is only for round one... or chassis 1. Then we're right back into 'developer heck' (not sure about the forum's filters on h.e.doublehockeysticks), with multiple screen resolutions. One less reason to justify the jump and dump, leaving developers scrambling to a) afford the SDK, b) devote their time to writing brand new software for the brand new, incompatible OS, and c), try to make anything they write work on various pixel scales. 'Cause hey, there's no way a Crackberry-style device is going to have the same pixel resolution nor even likely the screen proportions of a WVGA, media-centric tablet.