Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 02-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows phone 7 UI vs. iPhone UI: FIGHT!

http://blog.genstart.dk/2010/02/17/...ome-the-chrome/

"The lock screen is up first, and a first example of the elimination of what Tufte would call interface debris. No controls here. To get unlock a Windows phone, simply slide the screensaver upwards with your thumb. The phone is in there, sitting behind the screensaver image. I remember when I first saw the iPhone and thought "oh, finally, no more remembering obscure keyboard patterns to open a phone". Seeing the Windows unlock mechanism, well, caused a similar response."

This is a really well-balanced and thoughtful look at the interface on the iPhone vs. the interface on Windows phone 7. Well worth the read - the person writing it is someone who thinks deeply about user interface and his impressions of Windows phone 7 are interesting to read.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:57 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

I agree that it's well thought out overview. But it's really hard to judge WP7s interface just from screen shots. It looks good, but how intuitive will it be when we pick it up to use it? The lack of screen elements means there will be some learning curve, just like there was on the iPhone. Apple spent millions of dollars advertising "how easy it is to use" the iPhone, and in doing so, taught all of us couch sitters how to use their device. Will Microsoft do the same, or will we see picture of birds and flowers flying again?

For the record, I think that the bigger gain with WP7 is Microsoft's enforcement of strict hardware requirements. Too many previous WM phones have been hamstrung by slow processors and lack of memory, causing all sorts of stability issues for users. Yes, the UI was in major need of an upgrade, but at the end of the day the hardware and software must both work well together to provide a good end-user experience. Nobody oohs and ahhs over the Blackberry interface, but they have been quite successful by making sure everything works the way you expect it to. The big question is if Microsoft "gets that" or if they have just been focused on making a pretty UI...

Old 02-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Macguy59
Mystic

While I agree the iPhone OS UI is showing it's age I'm not sure how much they can change it with out pissing off a large chunk of their customer base. One of the biggest draws to the iPhone was it's ease of use. An individual could have the basics down in a very short period of time. I would like to see a refresh of the UI but Apple needs to be careful. One thing to note is that the author apparently didn't know the iPad was running 3.2 and not 4.0. I would be surprised if the tablet UI stays the same at launch. For some reason seeing some of the WP 7 UI elements running off the screen bugs me.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:44 PM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macguy59 View Post
For some reason seeing some of the WP 7 UI elements running off the screen bugs me.
Well I'm pleased that I am not the only one on that score. However picking up on your comments on the iPhone - I think that there is a lot that can be done to the appearance without impacting upon the actual functional processes - graphic changes in particular. However - having said that - look at OSX Snow Leopard - and compare it with earlier versions of Mac e.g. OS 9 for instance. There have been significant cosmetic style updates and improvements in graphics to keep it up to date but the basic functionality is unchanged - anyone who had used OS9 quickly migrated to OSX - I dont see that will be any different for when iPhone3 goes to 4.
As for WM - it looks like that there are substantial changes to both appearance and functionality of the UI - it will be the intuitiveness of the UI that will be all important for the average consumer.