Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 02-18-2010, 03:30 AM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Windows Marketplace Makes Changes

Greetings from the Microsoft MVP Summit. Today I'm happy to write to you and tell you... absolutely nothing from Summit due to NDA! But I do have some interesting developments regarding Windows Mobile Marketplace which should make developers smile. These will all be rolling out over the next few days from Microsoft.

• The $10 fee to submit to additional marketplaces. The $99 fee is still applicable, but to submit to smaller market segments, the additional fee is now gone.
  • Registration flow for ISVs should be improved.
  • Users in Russia will now be able to access Marketplace.
  • Acceptance policy changes, including allowing VoIP applications unless specifically prohibited by the carrier.

Hopefully this will help remedy a few Marketplace issues, and encourage its growth!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:31 AM
Fritzly
Sage

"Acceptance policy changes, including allowing VoIP applications unless specifically prohibited by the carrier."
I am curious: what about people like me that only buy SIM Free phones? Theoretically we should see no restrictions whatsoever......

Old 02-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly View Post
"Acceptance policy changes, including allowing VoIP applications unless specifically prohibited by the carrier."
I am curious: what about people like me that only buy SIM Free phones? Theoretically we should see no restrictions whatsoever......
I believe its marketplaces by carrier that you're currently connected with, not the carrier that sold the phone, so restrictions would probably apply to even unlocked devices.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall View Post
I believe its marketplaces by carrier that you're currently connected with, not the carrier that sold the phone, so restrictions would probably apply to even unlocked devices.
I am confused: is not "Marketplace" belonging to MS?
Do you mean that if I use T-Mobile I will be able to buy only T-Mobile approved apps? I have a 3G iPhone, bought officially unlocked in Europe, and I can buy apps using Apple store regardless of the fact that, at the moment, I use it with T-Mobile and not AT&T.
And what if I connect using a foreign SIM; will I be locked out?
If these 7 series phones will have to rely to Carriers to obtain apps as soon as my HTC HD2 will become obsolete sure as hell MS will loose another customer........

Last edited by Fritzly; 02-19-2010 at 01:08 AM..