Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-18-2010, 03:00 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook
Default Everything You Wanted to Know about Windows Phone 7 Series

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/17/...wanted-to-know/

"Microsoft just planted a massive flag in the ground with the debut of Windows Phone 7 Series. The company's new mobile operating system is a radical and potent departure from the past, and there's a lot to take in -- so we've gathered together all our knowledge and impressions of the device so far and rolled them into a single, concise guide. Of course, there will be plenty more to learn in the coming months, and we're going to be beating down Redmond's door for more details on this thing, but for now let's dive into what Microsoft has revealed so far about its latest and (potentially) greatest phone operating system."

Engadget has posted an in-depth guide covering many questions about Windows Phone 7 Series including the UI, new marketplace, Office hub and much more. Click here to read the full article.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:15 AM
MobileStan
Neophyte
Default Why stick with Windows Phone?

Let me start by saying that my intention for this post is not to start an argument or to troll. It is intended to hopefully answer a question I have been thinking about.

I have used lots of PDAs and smart phones over the years -- PALMS, Handsprings, PocketPCs, Windows Mobile, iPod Touches and currently a Droid.

During this time, I left PALM OS for PocketPC because PALM OS just was no longer doing it for me (outdated), I left PocketPC/Win Mobile for iPod Touch because the Win Mobile OS I felt was dated, I got the Touch because I did not want to switch to ATT for the iPhone, and I got the Droid recently because it became available on VZW and I actually like its features more than the iPhone, and I am a hardcore Mac user.

A lot has obviously changed over the past year. From what I can see, the new Web OS looks awesome, though it is a whole new OS from the original PALM OS, and the new Windows Phone is a whole new OS from 6.5x, so switching to either will be a whole new investment of time in learning how to use either of these new platforms.

I am curious, what is it about the Microsoft platform (and I would ask this same question to PALM users) that makes you wait as long as you have and not jump ship to Android or iPhone when you are going to have to learn a whole new OS anyways with the new Windows Phone? I can understand if you have issues with Android or iPhone OS, however, if it is strictly because you want to stay with the Microsoft platform, why is it?

Thanks.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileStan View Post
I am curious, what is it about the Microsoft platform (and I would ask this same question to PALM users) that makes you wait as long as you have and not jump ship to Android or iPhone when you are going to have to learn a whole new OS anyways with the new Windows Phone? I can understand if you have issues with Android or iPhone OS, however, if it is strictly because you want to stay with the Microsoft platform, why is it?

Thanks.
Good question. My reason is for features and compatibility. The iPhone and Android platforms are still "new". Therefore many small features have been overlooked. I have used the iPhone and Android and I wasn't satisfied. In fact I couldn't wait to put them down after a few days. Microsoft's mobile platform has been around for a long time, and though it's still a bit dated currently, they've polished many usabilty features that make a BIG difference for me. What am I referring to? Little things like better copy/paste, auto-complete and suggestions when typing messages, a great home screen that shows everything outstanding for the day, greater features for Contacts, Calendar and Task Items--and most importantly the best Microsoft Exchange compatibility.

That's why it's been hard for me to switch to another platform because many of these features are missing or not implemented very well on newer platforms. I'm trying to stick with Microsoft because they've perfected a lot of usability features IMO and thinking (hoping) that these same features will continue in the WP7 platform.

Last edited by Eriq Cook; 02-26-2010 at 07:34 AM..