Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook
Default T-Mobile Launches Official HTC HD2 Page

http://www.sticktogether.com/htchd2/

While no specific date has been officially announced yet, T-Mobile has launched a new web page for the highly anticipated HD2 with general information and mailing list sign up. This is obviously the teaser that T-Mobile posted on their twitter page last week. Judging by T-Mobile's history (as a 6 year customer), I suspect we're about a month away of release.

As of now, the HD2 is the only Windows Mobile device upgradable to Windows Phone 7. Do you plan on getting the HD2 when it's released? While I personally don't plan to (due to lack of physical keyboard), I know it'll be an awesome device nonetheless!

Old 02-18-2010, 02:43 AM
kettch
Pupil

Do we know that it's going to be upgradable? I've seen a lot of rumor and speculation, but nothing official.

I've always had phones with keyboards, and this is the first device that I thought was big enough to have a comfortable soft keyboard. I'm thinking of grabbing an unlocked one to try for a few months, and all the better if it's upgradable.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:05 AM
Russ Smith
Intellectual

I'm not "going to" get one.

As the French castle guard said "We've already got one!"
I wanted one to work with my AT&T account instead of locking me into T-Mobile.
I'm not normally one to get a unit before anyone else, but, after all the research I did into specifications and such, I knew this was the one I wanted. I'm not disappointed.

The unit is amazingly quick. The TouchFlow UI works very well for most tasks. I was a bit worried going from a unit with a built-in keyboard back to on-screen only, but the HD2's custom SIP works really well, even with my voluminous digits.

Also, the Today screen weather animation is incredible. (It's snowing today so it has snowflakes falling across the screen with frost crystals along the edges.)

As to getting the 7 upgrade, the HD2 has all the prerequisites for running 7, so, even if HTC/T-Mobile doesn't produce it, you can bet XDA developers will have some custom-cooked ROMs available. I've got mixed feelings on that. 7 looks great compared to generic 6.5 OS, but I really like the TouchFlow enhancements on the HD2 and SPB Mobile Shell on my X1. It looks as though MS is going to disallow covering over the 7 GUI.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:03 AM
kettch
Pupil

Where did you get yours? I was thinking about picking up one of the Telstra versions. There's a couple of stores on eBay that have them.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettch View Post
Do we know that it's going to be upgradable? I've seen a lot of rumor and speculation, but nothing official.

I've always had phones with keyboards, and this is the first device that I thought was big enough to have a comfortable soft keyboard. I'm thinking of grabbing an unlocked one to try for a few months, and all the better if it's upgradable.
We have sketchy reports that the current builds of 7 floating around the backalleys of the net will run on the HD2, however no official confirmation has been given.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:13 PM
kettch
Pupil

I guess it's too late for me anyway. I got itchy last night and pulled the trigger.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:51 PM
ucfgrad93
Intellectual

I would buy one in a heartbeat if it was on at&t.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 PM
kettch
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I would buy one in a heartbeat if it was on at&t.

After much research and thought, I decided to get one of the Australian Telstra devices . It supports all of the US GSM bands and the 850Mhz 3G band. From what I've been able to find out, it should work everywhere on just EDGE and probably everywhere in 3G mode. At least everywhere I care about.

All I need to do is flash it with a US based ROM and it'll be up and running.