Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Accessories

Old 02-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook
Default Video Demo of Celio's Redfly Mobile Dock

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/13/...or-a-demo-reel/

"If you'll recall, we spotted a "proof of concept" smartphone dock from the outfit [Celio] 13 months ago, and apparently that very device has shifted out of the R&D lab and into a working product. Now sporting the codename "Moab," the dock essentially brings a keyboard and mouse of your choosing to your smartphone, and it channels the video on your mobile's display onto a bona fide external monitor."

While the concept of a smartphone dock may sound useful to some, I personally would not buy an accessory like this and it seems a bit awkward for the purpose of typing long emails. If I have a keyboard, mouse and monitor lying around, there will more than likely be a notebook nearby to use instead. But still, for some this may be a convenient solution. Do you think a smartphone dock would be a useful accessory to own? Tell us what you think.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Pdaholic
Intellectual

I had thoughts of getting a Redfly a few months ago, but I just didn't see the need to carry another piece of hardware around. My netbook is not much heavier and much more functional. I decided to get SOTI's pocket controller, and it served my needs and was a much cheaper alternative to the Redfly. I suppose if my phone were my only means of accessing the internet, a Redfly might be useful. I would probably just tether, though. Nonetheless, I applaud the company for having the courage and ability to create this niche product.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Eriq Cook
Thinker

I also use Pocket Controller for that purpose, when necessary (usually only when setting up a new smartphone). It works great. And I agree, why carry around another accessory when it's almost the weight of a netbook? There's no pricing information yet, but I'll bet it'll cost between $99 - $199 (any higher than that and it's suicide). You can buy a brand new netbook near that. But they have courage alright LOL I wish them luck.

Last edited by Eriq Cook; 02-16-2010 at 07:47 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 07:45 PM
T39andcounting
Neophyte
Default Hotels and Airport lounges

I can see that something like this might catch on in airport lounges and hotels. The ability to plug a smart phone into a screen and keyboard might be a pull for the road warrior who wants to get some hard core email done while waiting for the plane, but who doesn't want to boot up the laptop. It would need to be pretty universal though... no drivers to install.

They also may be aiming this at people who really have replaced their computer with a phone. I know of at least one person who only has a Blackberry, no computer. This might be useful for them to plug into the TV, but I doubt there'd be much of a market.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Eriq Cook
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T39andcounting View Post
I can see that something like this might catch on in airport lounges and hotels. The ability to plug a smart phone into a screen and keyboard might be a pull for the road warrior who wants to get some hard core email done while waiting for the plane, but who doesn't want to boot up the laptop. It would need to be pretty universal though... no drivers to install.
I kind of agree about airports/lounges. But with so many different platforms I highly doubt they can make it work out the box without the need to install software. The existing Redfly Mobile Companion requires software installation via USB cable and regular computer. And you might as well use THAT computer to access email Plus I'd think that the average user in that scenario will get frustrated with the setup time, if not fail altogether.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:16 AM
Pdaholic
Intellectual

My netbook can just do so much more than my phone. I can surf much more quickly, watch movies (can't do that on a redfly), and use p2p websites (I know I COULD use software on my phone to access them, but not as much variety). Also, my dell Mini 9 with flash memory boots very quickly. I suppose the redfly may have better battery life. Just not worth it for my uses.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Ed@Brighthand
Intellectual
Default A Possible Use

I can see a use for this in the business world. You have a group of employees who work in the field using smartphones. Occasionally they come into the office, and when they do they can plug their phone into this dock, and work on a full-size keyboard and screen.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Eriq Cook
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Brighthand View Post
I can see a use for this in the business world. You have a group of employees who work in the field using smartphones. Occasionally they come into the office, and when they do they can plug their phone into this dock, and work on a full-size keyboard and screen.
I could see that method working because the hardware & software would be standardized most likely. Hopefully that's the main market they're going for.