Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 02-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows Phone 7 in Pictures

I found a few images of the Windows phone 7 user interface for you to check out. What do you think of it? It's sure not like any phone I've ever seen before...more after the break.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:28 PM
randalllewis
Thinker

This is just really well done. I particularly like the ability to use a photo as the background for the photo hub. Nice personalization touch. I'd like to see the phone and e-mail screens. Have I missed those somewhere?

Old 02-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalllewis View Post
I'd like to see the phone and e-mail screens. Have I missed those somewhere?
Nope, Microsoft didn't show those in the demo. Maybe the Windows phone can't make calls.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:50 PM
randalllewis
Thinker

I did find the e-mail program demo on the Channel 9 video that Jason posted. It is a very nice demo of many features of WinMo7....but they didn't try to make a call. Isn't it interesting that we are more excited about what a phone can do....other than what a phone is supposed to do?

Old 02-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Deslock
Thinker

Looks wonderful. It's been obvious for years that capacitance touch-screens, finger-based input, and multitouch are where it's at; I'm glad to see Microsoft switch.

The interface is slick... I really like how the category panels are wider than the phone's screen and slide across (will make the GUI translate well to devices with different form factors). XBox integration will be a boon for it too.

What about the business side of things? Will it run Windows Mobile / Pocket PC apps? (either natively or emulated like Palm's WebOS devices)

Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Inventor
Ponderer

> What about the business side of things? Will it run Windows Mobile / Pocket PC apps? (either natively or emulated like Palm's WebOS devices)

I did some searching and found this:

http://gizmodo.com/5450946/source-wi...upport-6x-apps

It looks like some type of emulator.

Now my question is will the eVB runtime install

Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalllewis View Post
Isn't it interesting that we are more excited about what a phone can do....other than what a phone is supposed to do?
I think that's mostly because making a call is a core feature that pretty much every phone on the market today does a really good job at - I don't have any criticisms about making a call in 6.5 today, and I expect 7 will do the same job, if not better.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
What about the business side of things? Will it run Windows Mobile / Pocket PC apps? (either natively or emulated like Palm's WebOS devices)
There's been virtually no info about that yet - Microsoft is holding back all the dev/app info for MIX10, their developer conference.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:26 AM
SassKwatch
Philosopher

Heck, if they've made Mobile OneNote half the app it appears to be in this screen shot, I'm 'all in'.

-= Sass =-