Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Pete Paxton
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Broadcom Introduces 3G Chipset Solution to Enable High-Speed, Low Cost Smartphone Devices

http://www.broadcom.com/press/relea....php?id=s443445

"Designed in Broadcom's proven 65 nanometer CMOS process, the new '3G phone-on-a-chip' and RF solution enables manufacturers to build low cost, low power, next generation 3G HSUPA phones with breakthrough features, sleek form factors and very long battery lives. Utilizing an integrated ARM11® processor that is capable of running popular open operating systems (such as Windows Mobile® and AndroidTM), the Broadcom® BCM21553 HSUPA baseband processor can run innovative new applications and download media files at a much faster speed, resulting in sophisticated and affordable handsets, and a more satisfying smartphone experience."

I guess there's really nothing not to like about this. Low cost, high speed, and long battery life. I like each of those features in a smartphone. From what I read it sounds like the graphic's chip will be powerful along with support for at least an 8 megapixel camera. I'd like to see all this sooner than later. Now we just need to figure out what the statements "low cost" and "long battery lives" actually mean. I suppose time will tell but for the most part the future sounds pretty good.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:26 PM
egads
Theorist

I just wish the carriers would get in the mood also and lower the prices of their data plans!

Old 02-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Richard76
Intellectual

Well, if nothing else, it may start to foster some real innovation in design.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
I just wish the carriers would get in the mood also and lower the prices of their data plans!
Agreed! Part of me wonders though if they're delaying dropping prices, and getting new customers, because they don't have the frequency spectrum to support millions of new users accessing data. AT&T has proven it can be a real disaster when you don't have enough capacity...