Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 02-06-2010, 03:00 AM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Getting .NET Compact Framework on Device Is A Pain!

http://www.mobilejaw.com/thoughts/2...ile-6-5-device/

"I was just going off about this on twitter and I felt it was worth posting about too. I downloaded the beta for FourSquare on Windows Mobile. However, the application requires .Net Compact Framework 3.5 on the device. At first, I figured that a new HTC HD2 running Windows Mobile 6.5 should already have the 2 year old version of the Compact Framework installed in the ROM. Guess what I found out - No .NetCF 3.5 on the device. While that's just short sighted and stupid on Microsoft's part, the solution is pretty simple. All I need to do is download the CAB from the web and I'm good to go. Sadly, it's just not that simple. You see, the .NetCF 3.5 installer is a 33MB desktop installer that contains the CAB files inside of it. So you can't simply download it to your device and install. Now I'm really wondering what the hell Microsoft is thinking. Have they lost sight of the end user in all this?"

Thoughts Emeritus Mike Temporale has a good point about the .NET Compact Framework that you may be wanting to install (in order to run other programs). I found out the same thing Mike did last summer when I wanted to install an app and had to hook my phone up to my computer, download the framework, and install it, all while having the CAB for the actual program sitting on my phone waiting. It used to be (e.g., 2003) that only expert geeks knew about CAB installations to their phones, of course that was also when every device shipped with a cradle and it was expected that the device would be docked a considerable amount of the time. Nowadays docking is mostly an annoyance, and the lack of a CAB for the .NET CF is annoying.

Of course come to think of it, I've never had a good time installing ANYTHING .NET... so why should the CF be an exception? <sigh>

Old 02-06-2010, 08:50 PM
kdarling
Pupil

In the early days of WM, it made sense to always download the installation file to a desktop first.

1) The early WM devices only stored new apps in RAM, and had to be reloaded if the battery died. (And it was nice to have the apps around when you upgraded your equipment.)

2) Download time was expensive. REALLY expensive. Especially over the air.

Unfortunately, MS didn't start taking advantage of communications advances.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:07 PM
RonnyGydar
Neophyte
Default You can download .Net CF 3.5 CAB from our site

We have experienced the same (all our programs use .Net CF 3.5), and have therefore put the CAB for .Net CF 3.5 on our site, since most people prefer to download both our apps and the framework directly to their phones.

I am sure you can find the CF 3.5 CAB hosted elsewhere too, but if you can't find it elsewhere, feel free to download it from our server with this URL:
http://www.trineseries.com/CABS/NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab

Old 02-14-2010, 08:11 PM
j2inet
Pupil

I keep a copy of the cab on my personal website too. Though I had not realized that users can't get to it with ease until last week. As a developer it automatically gets deployed to my device when I'm testing a program.

As of yet the .Net 3.5 Compact Framework is not part of the Windows Mobile AKU. So you'll find that it is not preinstalled on any Windows Mobile devices.