Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > Toshiba Windows Phones

Old 01-30-2010, 07:00 AM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Toshiba TG02 Whizzes Through FCC

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/29/...ops-by-the-fcc/

"Before the Nexus One and the HD2, there was the Toshiba TG01, sprinting along with a 1GHz Snapdragon in its belly and a 4.1-inch front end. Alas, that phone was hamstrung by a resistive touchscreen and a poorly thought-out skin atop an even worse OS (WinMo 6.1), but even by today's standards its hardware spec is top notch. Color us intrigued, then, to find its successor finally making its FCC debut -- with Bluetooth, GPS and WiFi (802.11b/g) connectivity in tow and a case outline suggesting some earlier leaked shots might still be accurate."

Well, looks like the TG01 is getting a successor. Toshiba is the little OEM that could, and as we've all seen, sometimes they can produce quality devices. But let's just hope the TG02 makes a bigger splash than the TG01.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

FINALLY! This is the waterproof Toshiba I've been waiting to buy for over a year now since its initial announcement. Why, oh why, does it have to take so long? I really doubt that Motorola has to wait anything near this long to get a model approved by the precious FCC.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
FINALLY! This is the waterproof Toshiba I've been waiting to buy for over a year now since its initial announcement. Why, oh why, does it have to take so long? I really doubt that Motorola has to wait anything near this long to get a model approved by the precious FCC.
Waterproof? Sounds promising... I use my mobile devices in the pool / jakuzzi quite a lot in a special water-resistant case. This would eliminate all the hassles of such cases.

(Of course, the phone would still need declared updatability to WM7 and a real (read: capacitive) touchcreen. And, preferably, an OLED one - now that a lot of major manufacturers have switched to OLED, why stick with TFT?

Old 02-06-2010, 12:47 AM
Gerard
Pontificator

The waterproof thing figured quite prominently in the early talk around the TG02, so I think that's a sure thing, and truly hope so with Vancouver's weather being so nasty half the time. I hate being outside, getting a call, and finding myself doing a silly bit of contortion to try and keep the phone dry while talking to someone. Heck, that's why back in 2000 I bought a Casio EG-800, minus the phone call part. It was neat for a while to be able to use my PPC in the rain. Until the seals all started popping off in a month or so, that is... what horrible plastic that was. By the end of two months of very ordinary use, no extremes or dropping, not one of the various port seals would stay closed. I trust Toshiba has figured this out better after another decade of plastics evolution and design insight.

On the OLED screen front, I kind of doubt it. Not that I don't agree, it'd be fantastic! But nothing was said initially about this model coming with anything other than a run-of-the-mill screen, be it higher than average in resolution.

The multi-touch might well happen, considering how much Toshiba really needs to hit a home run this time around. They've taken a few shots in the PDA/phone market and keep stumbling. Multi-touch is all the rage thanks to Apple, and I bet most consumers shopping for a high end device like this (likely $800+ without a contract) are going to expect at least that much. Let's hope Toshiba isn't already committed to single-contact screen input, as if they are, this one might just die before it hits the shelves.