Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Other Apple Hardware

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Jeff Campbell
Executive Editor, Apple Thoughts
Default Well, iPad is Reality

http://www.9to5mac.com/node/13498?u...e+Intelligence)

"I spent way too much time playing with the iPad today. In fact, I'm still thinking about it and here's why: The browser is better than the browser on my MacBook. It might be the best browsing experience out there. By a lot."

And so began the review from Seth Weintraub over at 9 to 5 Mac. And here is an even better hands-on review over at Apple Insider. I'm not sure if you watched the keynote or any of a number of streams from the event, but here are my thoughts on it. 

I was really anticipating this event, but it was more of a hope that we would see something about the next software update for the iPhone than the mythical tablet that is now known as the iPad. So when there wasn't a "and one more thing" from Steve I was a little let down. So what do I think about the iPad? I think it is actually a pretty fantastic piece of hardware, one that really does fill that niche between the iPhone and Macbook. But I also sense that it is going to become a lot more and may even expand the niche, meaning people will find a way to become part of that niche to justify owning one. There are many uses like surfing the web, browsing photos and watching movies just like Steve showed yesterday. But what he didn't show, and what I think will become apparent very quickly, are the uses that people create for a device such as this. One example a friend and I were talking about was photography. He told me he has seen a lot of interest in his circle of photography friends about this device and how they will be able to use it in the field or when presenting their work to clients. Another business that comes to mind is real estate. How about using it as a reference device for medical professionals when visiting patients? The list could expand greatly and I think this is just the device that makes that possible.

Now, will I buy one? As of today I have not convinced myself that I have needs in that particular niche that need fulfilling. I'm not saying I won't, but I just haven't decided if I really need to have one. The price points do make it affordable, but the real advantage to me of the iPhone is that it is so portable and if I need something more, I usually have my laptop. If I didn't bring my laptop, I doubt I will carry around the iPad. But I could be wrong. I will give Apple credit though, they have created a kick ass tablet! 

What are your thoughts?