Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 01-28-2010, 07:30 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook
Default Microsoft "Pink" Phone Coming This Spring?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/25/...ngs-devices-la/

Rumours about Microsoft's mysterious "Pink" smartphone have been circling around the net for about a year now, but according to a factual statement by a (former) Microsoft employee, we should finally see what Pink is all about this Spring. The "Pink" phone (rumored to be named after the pop-singer Pink) is to be a "Zune-like" smartphone marketed towards youth with a special emphasis on social networking and communication.

Not a bad idea coming from Microsoft. It sounds like the the once popular Danger Sidekick platform (which Microsoft acquired back in February 2008). Perhaps this IS the "next genration" Sidekick? And with Windows Mobile 7 around the corner, I wonder how similar Pink will be to the media edition of Windows Mobile 7...

Old 01-28-2010, 09:43 AM
benjimen
Intellectual

Microsoft is so irrelevant when it comes to consumer mobility, does anyone really care about this Pink phone? Most people who use WM devices either have to for work, or regret purchasing them for personal use. None of that is likely to change as the mobility market passes them by...

Old 01-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Djblois
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjimen View Post
Microsoft is so irrelevant when it comes to consumer mobility, does anyone really care about this Pink phone? Most people who use WM devices either have to for work, or regret purchasing them for personal use. None of that is likely to change as the mobility market passes them by...
Why are you even on this forum?? Please get off!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Microsoft is so irrelevant when it comes to consumer mobility, does anyone really care about this Pink phone?
You might be surprised this year...

Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 PM
benjimen
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
You might be surprised this year...
You could very well be right -- though IMO Microsoft long ago lost out on becoming any sort of standard in this arena...

Old 01-28-2010, 08:18 PM
benjimen
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djblois View Post
Why are you even on this forum?? Please get off!
Just because an opinion is different than yours doesn't mean it's not something that should be said. If it bothers you, get yourself off, you'll feel better

Last edited by benjimen; 01-28-2010 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
You could very well be right -- though IMO Microsoft long ago lost out on becoming any sort of standard in this arena...
Here's the thing though: people seem to think the mobile phone game is "over", that somehow the war has been won by certain sides, and everyone else should just take their ball and go home. Smartphones still represent a small fraction of overall mobile phone sales - the game is still afoot! And if Apple proved anything with the iPhone, it's that a compelling product can come out and change the game.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:22 PM
benjimen
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Here's the thing though: people seem to think the mobile phone game is "over", that somehow the war has been won by certain sides, and everyone else should just take their ball and go home. Smartphones still represent a small fraction of overall mobile phone sales - the game is still afoot! And if Apple proved anything with the iPhone, it's that a compelling product can come out and change the game.
Yes & no -- you won't see Microsoft mobility product announcements featured on every mainstream news service at home and abroad; or Windows-Phone ports in new cars; or incorporated into mainstream-anything. There's plenty of market share left over to support fringe-OS devices like Windows Mobile -- they'll always be around, just not a standard.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:59 PM
azieba
Neophyte

Pink -- the singer, really? I always thought it was an indirect reference the flourescent Pink colors in the Zune logo.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:21 AM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Yes & no -- you won't see Microsoft mobility product announcements featured on every mainstream news service at home and abroad; or Windows-Phone ports in new cars; or incorporated into mainstream-anything. There's plenty of market share left over to support fringe-OS devices like Windows Mobile -- they'll always be around, just not a standard.
Since mobile computing is pegged to be the fastest growing segment in the coming years, I think it is a bit premature to be picking any winners or losers, or their place in the market. For all we know good old Palm could skyrocket in the coming years. Microsoft could easily be leapfrogging over others and be on everyone's mind within the year....The point is we just don't know yet.

Dave