Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Accessories

Old 01-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HTC Releases Stylus for HD2

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/15/...2-now-shipping/

I have to admit to being a bit puzzled by this accessory. The HD2, between the huge screen size and the superb software efforts HTC has put into making Windows Mobile finger-friendly, is the first Windows Mobile Professional device to ship without a stylus. And, based on my experience using it over the past couple of months, it really doesn't need one - certainly not a $28 USD stylus. Because the HD2 uses a capacitive screen, you can't use any old piece of plastic - it needs to be a stylus created specifically for a capacitive screen. Are you an HD2 owner using a stylus? If so, chime in.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Fritzly
Sage

No I do not. Not only I do not use a stilo now that I am using WM 6.5.3 but I did not use and did not miss one even when using the original WM 6.5 .
What is this scam? A phone that costs $800 and the stilo is a separate purchase?
I bet it will be a huge flop.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:53 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

It's presumably useful for people who use apps that need the stylus, i.e., small buttons, drawing, some games. That's what I'd assume. Not all WM apps are touch-friendly yet.

--janak

Old 01-19-2010, 02:05 AM
SPTech
Neophyte
Default HTC Stylus Enterprise Use

Also, don't forget that .NET and MS-SQL are core enterprise apps, and if most companies are going to develop (or have already developed) a custom mobile application for mobile users, it's probably going to be on Windows Mobile, and will likely require a stylus for (at least part of) its functionality. And there's also a lot of major enterprise apps that also natively support mobile (Windows Mobile) use in an effort to extend their value and usefulness. In these two scenarios, I can see why an upscale device manufacturer would at least offer the option of a stylus. While it's easy to just concentrate on the consumer market because it's got more sizzle, business enterprise use is still a huge market.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:05 AM
mmidgley
Intellectual

I know someone that uses a stylus with their iphone (capacitive screen is the point) because of supposed fingertip sensitivity. That's one reason to use a stylus, but it can't be a very popular reason. $28 does seem steep. I am looking forward to using a device stylus-free. (I wonder how I'll do without a dpad though).

m.

Last edited by mmidgley; 01-19-2010 at 05:08 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 AM
alese
Philosopher

That's one expensive stylus.
But, for what is worth, if I would have and use HD2 I would probably buy one. Why? Because I like taking handwritten notes on my device and because my kids like to draw on my devices and all that would be great on device like HD2.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:49 PM
doogald
Oracle

Hey, maybe it's worth it not to have to take off your gloves in the winter! (BTW, if this is the case, you can use the negative end of a AAA battery as a fairly broad stylus on a capacitive screen, in a pinch.)

Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 PM
guney
Neophyte

You need a stylus if you do something like edit spreadsheets with 30+ rows and 6 columns on the screen at any one time (where you need to select one specific cell, rather than a blob of cell ranges or without having to make three attempts), or if you're working with topographic maps with paths (where you'd like to know the elevation right "at this peak", rather than "somewhere near it"), etc. In other words, if you're me.

In fact, the lack of a stylus was the single biggest reason that stopped me from upgrading to an HD2 (from my current Touch HD).

This new stylus is a step in the right direction for users like me, but it still falls short. I carry my device with me in my jeans pocket at all times and can't be bothered with having to keep track of yet another little object cluttering up my pockets and getting jostled together with (and possibly scratching the screen of) my device.

I guess I'll have to wait until their next generation high-end model, where this stylus will presumably be integrated into its own built-in slot. (Like in the good old days...) Hopefully, they've woken up to this need now.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:51 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

I'm with alese - I take a lot of handwritten notes, especially in meetings. I'm wondering though whether it wouldn't be possible to use pens designed for tablet PCs with active screens? One thing I have against styluses is that they're not terribly comfortable to write with over long periods.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:57 PM
follick
Ponderer

I stick with WM devices because of software that I have that won't run on other platforms. I'm going to need a stylus.