Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home News

Old 01-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan
Default Maybe Walking Needs Laws For Cell Phone Use

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/17/t...distracted.html

"On the day of the collision last month, visibility was good. The sidewalk was not under repair. As she walked, Tiffany Briggs, 25, was talking to her grandmother on her cellphone, lost in conversation. Very lost. “I ran into a truck,” Ms. Briggs said. It was parked in a driveway."

It is becoming illegal in more places to use your phone while driving, without at least using hands-free and overall, I agree with the movement.  I see driving as a privilege, and I see people holding a handset, let alone texting, as very dangerous.  However, the war between drivers and pedestrians rages on, and pedestrians are far from innocent.  People not using crosswalks and paying attention to the traffic signs is bad enough, but then there are those that are completely oblivious to the world around them which makes them just as much a danger as distracted drivers.  If only there was a way we could impose or enforce the laws we currently have to encourage people to pay attention to the world around them, at least where safety is concerned.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 PM
stlbud
Intellectual

The Darwin Awards

Zune Tag - therealstlbud

Old 01-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Steve Jordan
Thinker

Heh... good luck with that.

The day this story came out, our local radio station went out looking for such people. They interviewed a young girl who said she's been so distracted walking while texting that she's walked into sign poles. Multiple times. And still texts while she walks. (She didn't even sound at all embarrassed to admit it, either!)

I think the day we'll be able to protect pedestrians from cars, and cars from pedestrians, is the day we put up unbreakable glass walls between every street and sidewalk, with doors at the crosswalks that only open when the signal lights activate them...

Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 PM
developerzero
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to developerzero Send a message via Yahoo to developerzero
Thumbs up Speedbumps

I think we should just make it legal to run over people who jaywalk. That'll get their attention.

-Ryan

P.S. I'm serious, they REALLY tick me off.