Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > HTC Windows Phones

Old 01-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Sprint Says Touch Pro 2 6.5 Update By End of Q1

http://mobile.engadget.com/2010/01/...for-touch-pro2/

"Windows Mobile 6.5 fever: catch it! AT&T had the good fortune of releasing the Tilt2 late enough to get 6.5 out of the gate, but the other guys have been falling in line ever since: first Verizon, then T-Mobile, and now Sprint's getting in on the action. The bad news is that they're only committing to a vague "by the end of first quarter, 2010" window at this point"

Ah the dysfunctional Windows Mobile update model. Microsoft releases the update, and providers screw around with it for months first deciding if they should release it (or hold back hoping people will buy newer models), then tote the official party line of "we must make sure it works well on our network" (Hint: It always does, this just gives them a stall line for another 4-6 months). Then they must decide what sort of crap to put in the ROM that you'll never actually use (That takes 1-2 more months I'm guessing). Finally they have the update ready, but usually decide to hold off another 1-2 months just for fun (Looking squarely at you T-mobile...). Finally around 10 months after Microsoft releases the version, it may show up on some handsets owned by the devoted masses, but most likely won't as they've already moved on. Seriously guys - this is messed up!

Old 01-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall View Post
Seriously guys - this is messed up!</p>
Yeah it is messed up. It always has been and probably always will be....No big deal. It's not likely to change any time soon, no matter how much we complain. We've been complaining for 10 years. What good has it done?

There's a much better way to upgrade...cooked ROMs. There are many very talented chefs at places like PPCGeeks.com and xda-developers.com. The ROMs these guys build are very solid. Usually much more dependable then the "official" ROMs we eventually get from our carriers. Installing them in no different then installing an official ROM. As for voiding warranty, well technically that is a possibility. In reality, the chances of bricking a device with a cooked ROM are extremely slim. The myth that you are playing with fire when you use cooked ROMs is very old and very wrong. I honestly can't remember the last time I heard of someone bricking a phone. With an official update you have to wait for months for it to come out.Then you have to accept what they give you. With cooked ROMs you have some very wide choices to choose from. For instance if I was to wait for an update from Telus for my TP2 I would have to accept one with Sense 2.1 and a smattering of included apps....and I would still be waiting for it. However I have been using WM6.5 on it for months now and have many ROMs to choose from. I can have a ROM with Sense 2.1, or 2.5 (something that is not coming from the carriers). I can choose from a multitude of builds, down 2-3 different development paths including WM6.5.3/WM6.6. I can have this today! I can even use one of the available kitchens and build my own ROM. This is very easy to do if you are even slightly tech savvy.

I gave up on bitching and complaining about the upgrade path from the carriers years ago when I discovered I could do something about it myself right now?!

BTW....the tech support you receive when using cooked ROMs is worlds ahead of what we get from carriers.

Dave

Old 01-18-2010, 03:30 AM
Russ Smith
Intellectual

Have to agree with both posts.

Yes, the update model is seriously messed up compared to other (much more locked down) phones like the iPhone. Waiting for an update seems interminable and you can't usually just go out and buy a new phone due to the expense and the contract.

I'm running WM 6.5 on my X1 right now. It's a cooked ROM and it's nearly perfect. (It's a little long on booting up (which I've only had to do twice due to an issue with GPS software.))

I've looked at getting a new handset and might even do so when the HD2 gets an unlocked US version later this year. (I'd like a capacitive screen.) Until then I'm really quite happy with my cooked ROM.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Richard76
Intellectual

The unfortunate part is that M$ has created their own "white elephant". They made a decision based on the thinking that they could sell more devices to the masses through the providers by allowing the providers to "take control" of the M$ OS.

M$ to SP: "Just look Mr. SP, you can control and put any software on this device you like (read: software that will make you lots of money) and the masses will be breaking down your door to buy it."

And hence, a business model was born. Was it effective? Did it make the SP's lots of money? I don't know but I do know that it is the end user that is getting "kissed". And long-term this is what has driven many hard-core WM devotees to look for the next latest and greatest thing. Kudos to M$ for being their own biggest enemy.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Catman51
Pupil

I am just going to receive this PPC today, according to UPS. Can't wait.
But it's always the same story with Sprint, with the older PPC's I've had, they never release an update ever. I've always felt screwed!
That's why this is halfway decent news that I will finally own something from them that does get an update.
Though releasing it with the system would've have been a better idea.