Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 01-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Windows Mobile 6.5.3 Makes a Quiet Appearance at CES

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/...y-very-quietly/

"Say, for a moment, that you're Microsoft and you're on the cusp of releasing a version of the much-maligned Windows Mobile 6.5 that actually made it touch-friendly for once -- but like all WinMo versions before it, you're relying on carriers and manufacturers to wage an inexcusably slow, arbitrary, incomplete upgrade campaign. Wouldn't you think that quietly burying its launch amongst a sea of more interesting (and less controversial) products might be a good idea?"

The folks at Engadget, in their quest to report the weird and wonderful at CES, discovered Windows Mobile 6.5.3 running on a TG01 and Traveler, which more or less confirms its existence. When it'll officially be released as an upgrade for said devices is anyone's guess. It is, after all, in the hands of the related manufacturers and carriers. But what's so great about v6.5.3, anyway? More touch-friendly adjustments throughout the UI. Less great is the fact that they're somewhat of an eyesore. One can only hope that's something that the much-anticipated Windows Mobile 7 will rectify.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Djblois
Pupil
Default Why do you say eye sore?

Wondering what part of the UI do you consider an eye sore?

Old 01-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djblois View Post
Wondering what part of the UI do you consider an eye sore?
The touch-friendly bottom bar. Many designers I've spoken to agree that the buttons could use work, and the bar itself could blend into the rest of the UI better. It currently seems tacked on, which actually isn't that far from the truth.

In fact, the UI of v6.5 still reeks of its predecessors. Shade effects do little to mask the archaic design of the tap-and-hold menus and notification bubbles. Appearance is just one of the many reasons why a lot of people are looking forward to v7.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:56 AM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph

Its nice to see WP finally cluing up to being more thumb friendly. I'm not sure I agree about the bottom bar - it looks fairly good from this distance However the general screen views whilst being more touch friendly appear very basic - it could do with the touch of someone with a good graphic design eye. Hopefully with capacitive screen's these new generation devices will start to give the iPhone interface a bit of competition! Will be interesting as to which surfaces first - WP7 of iPhone4! Roll up, roll up place your bets!

Old 01-12-2010, 10:16 PM
mbranscum
Thinker

I was running a 6.5.3 test version on my HTC Pure. It took all of about 60 minutes before I took it off. It is very ugly and distracting. It is also not compatible with some shell programs.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
I was running a 6.5.3 test version on my HTC Pure. It took all of about 60 minutes before I took it off. It is very ugly and distracting. It is also not compatible with some shell programs.
Well I guess this is just a matter of personal preferences; I have 6.3 in my HTC HD II and I could not imagine to go back to 6.5.
Btw I do not use "Sense" just the standard MS UI.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Joel Crane
Intellectual

What I hate about it is what they don't show: I guarantee that as soon as you dig down into a menu (settings for example), it's going to look exactly like it did 9 years ago, complete with little white tabs on the bottom and tiny check boxes.