Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > Other Windows Phones

Old 01-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Hands-On With Samsung SWD-M100 Mondi

http://www.wmexperts.com/another-ha...rts+(WMExperts)

The Samsung Mondi is that rarity in the age of smartphones - it's a dedicated web device running Windows Mobile Classic (non-phone OS), rather than the more ubiquitous Professional version. The other point of differentiation is the onboard WiMax radio, making the Mondi a niche within a niche device. Apart from that, the specs are pretty good - 4GB onboard storage with additional storage available via a MicroSD slot, 256MB RAM, 3MP camera, slide-out hardware keyboard, and a nice big 4.3" WVGA screen. All I can say is - why didn't Samsung slap a phone radio on this thing while they were at it?

Old 01-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhisham Hussein View Post
All I can say is - why didn't Samsung slap a phone radio on this thing while they were at it?
Because not everyone needs another $60/month bill.

It also appears to have 802.11b/g, BT2.0, as well as the WiMax, ( http://www.umpcportal.com/products/Samsung/Mondi/ ) so surfing at Starbucks, or tethering to those phones/plans that allow it, via BT, is an option. I don't see why non-cell, but connected devices, with a bigger screen, aren't more popular. Not everyone relishes surfing in a 2.3 inch window, or talking into a pop tart. The combination of a relatively normal sized cell phone and a MID (small but still pocketable) connectable to/through it seems ideal.

Too bad that the quest for convergence, largely to cut down device count (IMHO), has forced us into believing we want to surf the web looking through a toilet paper tube. In retrospect, I'm sorry that mobile browsers have advanced to the point they can effectively render regular web pages. It has all but eliminated the need for web developers to provide mobile friendly pages that are actually legible on small screens, without zooming in so far you lose effectiveness.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:39 PM
kerrins
Ponderer

Who says it would be another $60 bill? I would like to be able to pull the SIM card out of my mobile and connect without tethering. Drop my SIM into this device with a larger screen and keyboard and I could actually spend some time on it.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrins View Post
Who says it would be another $60 bill? I would like to be able to pull the SIM card out of my mobile and connect without tethering. Drop my SIM into this device with a larger screen and keyboard and I could actually spend some time on it.
Well, if you are one of those that likes to turn off and disassemble your devices to get the benefit each one provides, more power to you. I'd rather just connect via BT and go, or access via the (getting more) ubiquitous WiFi hotspots. Your assumption is that we would be able to buy this, full price, unlocked, if it were to be a GSM phone. I figure if it were, it would likely be prohibitively expensive, unless subsidized, and if subsidized, it WILL come with a plan.

Not really saying this wouldn't be nice as a phone, for some, but I think there is a place for such devices that aren't.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Richard76
Intellectual

"...why didn't Samsung slap a phone radio on this thing while they were at it?"

And another 256 MB of RAM!