Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook
Default Microsoft's My Phone Service Put to the Test

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009...-lost-htc-pure/

"The short video segment showcases the Microsoft My Phone service which, amongst other things, allows users to locate and retrieve a lost mobile phone. Watch as host Natali DelConte tosses her AT&T HTC Pure into the back of a cab as it drives straight into the heart of New York City. Laugh Be concerned when the GPS signal fails and the phone is no longer traceable, seemingly lost forever..."

CNET's Senior Editor Natali DelConte tested Microsoft's My Phone tracking service, which helps users locate misplaced (or stolen) smartphones, by throwing it into the back of a cab in New York City and seeing how successful she is recovering it by using the service. In the end the GPS tracking feature didn't help, but the phone was returned by a good samaritan who saw a message on the phone's screen that was sent using the service.

I signed up for the My Phone service recently, and while I find the service useful there are still some areas for improvement like the map tracking feature. It'd be nice if the service could pinpoint a devices location much closer than a 1 mile radius, so good luck finding your phone in a place like New York city. The more useful features in my opinion are the ability to lock your phone and display a custom message on screen on what to do if found, ring the phone loudly (even if the phone is set to silent or vibrate as it will override the settings), remotely delete messages and files or erase all data entirely. It also allows you to do an automatic or manual backup your phone's text messages and data (including data stored on memory cards) to the "cloud."

Have you used Microsoft My Phone or similar service to recover a lost device? Tell us your stories and/or what you'd like to see in future versions of phone tracking services. And for a video walk-through (via PocketNow) of My Phone, click here.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Dyvim
Sage

I've used MobileMe's similar Find My Phone feature twice so far to help locate my wife's iPhone. Once to prove that my wife hadn't left her purse at a restaurant the night before (she couldn't find her purse but this proved it was in our house- which further search revealed to be the case). And once to determine whether my wife had left her phone in the car (parked on the street) or if it was somewhere in the house. Needless to say, the iPhone version gives you better resolution than 1 mile. One lame thing about it is that it only works if Push messaging is enabled (one of the most battery draining features).

Old 12-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

The MyPhone backup feature is questionable too. It doesn't backup every file type. In fact my .wlt (ewallet) is not supported. This is a problem for me. I have it running, but I also periodically run Live Mesh to get my important stuff.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 12-31-2009, 02:15 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson View Post
...In fact my .wlt (ewallet) is not supported. This is a problem for me.
That is surprising. I also use eWallet but I sync my phone with the desktop version about once a month (I don't add records very often). Only down side is that it doesn't support wireless sync so I still have to do it by cable.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

I just get quite nervous about the whole phone tracking thing. Still, you don't *have* to use it... at the moment.... ;-)

Old 01-05-2010, 03:32 AM
E367BL
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriq Cook View Post
It'd be nice if the service could pinpoint a devices location much closer than a 1 mile radius, so good luck finding your phone in a place like New York city.
I have it set to push my location nightly during the sync process, and have checked the accuracy periodically. Mine normally gets within 50ft while indoors. Once it was more like 100-200ft, but I usually get a good position. I would imagine that the accuracy would have more to do with your phone's GPS than the MyPhone service.