Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > HTC Windows Phones

Old 12-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default First Impressions of the HTC HD2: Yowzers!

This is a two-part unboxing and first impressions video of the HTC HD2 [affiliate], a Windows phone running Windows Mobile 6.5. The HTC HD2 has is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, at an amazing 1024 Mhz. It has 512 MB of ROM, 448 MB of RAM, and a microSDHC card slot for expansion up to 32 GB. It weighs 5.54 ounces (157 grams), and measures 11mm thin (0.43"), 120.5mm tall (4.74"), and 67mm across (2.64").

It's a 3G phone, but this model is the Euro/Asia model so lacks the 3G bands for North America. It supports HSPA/WCDMA 900/2100 MHz and GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz. The HD2 has 802.11b/g WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1, and a 5-megapixel auto-focus camera with a dual-LED flash. It has a built-in GPS, G-sensor (accelerometer), proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, and a digital compass. Part two of the video is below.

This is one hell of a phone - that's really the best way I can sum of my experience with it. It's not perfect - the keyboard has this nasty habit of sometimes refusing to accept touch input, and the Twitter app doesn't update properly - but I haven't felt this excited about a Windows Mobile device in years. The hardware and screen are over-the-top fantastic, and the device just longs to be used. Just remember to keep that battery charger handy!

Watch for an upcoming walk-through of the software, and my full review video.

Jason Dunn owns and operates Thoughts Media Inc., a company dedicated to creating the best in online communities. He enjoys photography, mobile devices, blogging, digital media content creation/editing, and pretty much all technology. He lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with his lovely wife, his wonderful baby boy, and his mostly obedient dog. He hates having to chose between the latest and greatest hot phone and having 3G speeds. It sucks.

Do you enjoy using new hardware, software and accessories, then sharing your experience with others? Then join us on the Thoughts Media Review Team! We're looking for individuals who find it fun to test new gear and give their honest opinions about the experience. It's a volunteer role with some great perks. Interested? Then click here for more information.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Fellwalker
Pupil
Default A poweful phone

Yep, I've got one of these in the UK. It is such a leap from my previous phone and pda using WM2003SE combination.
The HTC sense on top of windows is amazing to make it more finger friendly, but I do hanker for the old stylus input from time to time for more detailed input. The inlcuded Opera is a good browser but you'll want to upgrade to Opera 10. Some of hte apps are more finger friendly than others, some still need a stylus or a smaller finger end than mine.
xda developers have some great hacks that make the input better by de-sensitising the keyboard. I can honestly say I have never had the non response issue that Jason has. I can't comment on twitter as i have not yet found any need for it.
An inclusive data plan is essential as it updates the weather and can update your email, facebook and twitter accounts, inlcuding photo uploads. There's a very basic Youtube client as well.
Videos are clear and stutter free but it cannot cope with many formats. It looks as if I need to buy Core Player if I want more.
Satnav is easy with the inlcluded Copilot, though I have found issues with its routing as have many others. TomTom say they are not compliant but then many users have got it workign fine.
Battery is the major disappointment with only a day of use, though more if you are only an occasional user.
If only there were one machine that did everything you wanted...
HTC HD2.Finally ditched HP hx4700 and miss its excellent screen, which was the proper shape, and its accuracy with a stylus.Sad Psion never developed its 5 series.Fed up that TomTom don't support HD2.