Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 12-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Pete Paxton
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default GPS.SOS!

http://www.jgui.net/gps.sos/index.html

"GPS.SOS! is a program for Windows Mobile phones, or Windows Phones.It allows you, in some situation, to send SMS message alert,with your current location read from GPS Receiver. The Recipient will get your alert message with your known location.He can call-back and your phone will answer automatically, and turn the speakerphone mode.If Recipient uses the same program, he can view your location on the map image in a few seconds."

This looks interesting. Right from the ol' "I've fallen and I can't get up!" days. Press the button stating GPS.SOS and it signals someone that you need assistance. There's a video on their site but I couldn't get it to play for me. There's a fully functional 7 day trial so you can give it a shot without risk.  I suppose this could be useful for certain people in certain situations. If you try it, please come back and let us all know what it's like and how well it works.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:39 PM
T_Scheen
Pupil

I can speak only for my device Loox T830 but my GPS mode is only turned on when I need it (for TomTom) because of high battery drainage in that particular mode.
In case of distress, I would have to switch on the GPS mode again and wait for two to five minutes until the GPS signal appears. Not very practical.
Furthermore, if you call 112, your GSM signal can be localized within a range of 50 metres.