Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 12-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Bing Mobile Updated, Mixed Reactions Reported

http://discoverbing.com/mobile/

Bing Mobile recently got an update, however I'm hearing quite a bit of mixed reactions on it. Todd Ogasawara isn't a fan, calling it "touch hostile", while Darren Humphries of Mobile Jaw is happy to see Traffic for Canada (Something Google Maps hasn't integrated yet). Love it or hate it, it's out now and shall bring Bing to your device if you'd like.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:24 PM
badersk
Pupil

I like the maps and traffic improvements but do not like the main page. I think the old one was easier to use. I also do not like that the gps tracking is on by default and you have to go into settings to turn it off and on.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:55 PM
cortez
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to cortez Send a message via MSN to cortez

i must be missing something here; i downloaded the Bing cab file and it looks exactly the same as the previous version of Bing i had on my HD.... it doesn't look anything like the TD2 screen in your article. i suspect it could be due to website not being able to determine what phone i'm using (?). the picture below is what i see when Bing is launched:

Old 12-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Djblois
Pupil

I also cannot get the new Bing to work on my TP2.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:13 PM
mhrc4
Neophyte

HTC Imagio - WM6.5 here, still cannot download the new Bing from their site.

Anyone have a direct link to the cab file?

Old 12-04-2009, 12:55 AM
badersk
Pupil

Supposedly it is designed for WM6.5. It downloaded on the Tilt2 but not My tilt one with 6.1 on it.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:08 AM
cortez
Intellectual
Default found a working version...

i have a "custom WM 6.5 ROM" so that's probably why it didn't load on my device... anyway, i found a version that has the new interface in this forum. tested and it works on my Touch HD!! here's the caveat though: You'll get a message saying that "your device has been identified as not officially supported and you can continue using as a Beta application".... WTH??? what is it about this version that makes it "so special"? has anyone seen a list of devices that IS supported? geeze, i guess i have to remember who i'm dealing with here: Microsoft. ahhh... the downside of using a WinMo device.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:38 AM
efjay
Theorist

I downloaded it and I agree with the feeling that its not as good as the previous version. It does look better but thats about it. Its not as easy to use as the older version which gives you icons for what you want to look for. With the new one all my searches for 2010, movies or movie theatres failed. I wont be upgrading till there are some major improvements.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:18 AM
Jetjockgordo
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
I downloaded it and I agree with the feeling that its not as good as the previous version. It does look better but thats about it. Its not as easy to use as the older version which gives you icons for what you want to look for. With the new one all my searches for 2010, movies or movie theatres failed. I wont be upgrading till there are some major improvements.
I agree. Looks pretty nice but nothing works right. All searches failed and I also got an unsupported device error. Scrolling was very rough. I have a Win 6.5 device and I would classify it as a very rough beta. Uninstalled it and put the old one back in.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:38 AM
cortez
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjockgordo View Post
I agree. Looks pretty nice but nothing works right. All searches failed and I also got an unsupported device error. Scrolling was very rough. I have a Win 6.5 device and I would classify it as a very rough beta. Uninstalled it and put the old one back in.
ditto... i like the traffic screen/view it selected my location without issue. from the traffic view, i typed Movies in the search bar and Bing shutdown; don't know if it was intentional or not. i reinstalled the older version, searched for Movies near my home and it returned several options within 8 seconds. i am thoroughly unimpressed with this new version.