Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 11-25-2009, 04:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default WMExperts Video Tour of Opera Mobile 10 Beta

http://www.wmexperts.com/video-revi...-mobile-10-beta

I haven't had a chance to check out Opera Mobile 10 beta yet, but this video covers it nicely - anyone else had a chance to try Opera 10 Mobile yet? What do you think of it?

Old 11-29-2009, 02:34 AM
Darren Blade
Contributing Editor-in-Training
Send a message via Skype™ to Darren Blade

I have been using Opera 9.5 on my Omnia II since receiving the device. I found it to be generally better then Pocket IE but OpMo 9.5 had its own eccentric issues that made it only suitable for use 80% of the time.
Opera 9.7 was a good upgrade to Opera 9.5 but again had its own issues and I was not a particular fan of the Widgets as given.

OK, Opera Mobile 10 Beta for Windows Mobile (or is that WindowsPhone now!? )
I have been using OpMo 10 now for over a week and I have to say it is an absolute joy to use!
At the risk of using a well-overused clich�, it is truly an "intuitive experience".

The Zoom functionality works, well the way it should work of course! Moreover, the way it scrolls and pans is very fluid. In fact, more fluid than any other I have used over the last while.
Selecting links works extremely well now (was not always pleasent in OpMo 9.5/9.7).
Bookmarks and their management are simple, precise and (heres that word again...) Fluid.

My son, when I showed off my web browsing via Opera 9.5/9.7 commented that until the checkerboard background (slow page download and rendering) was fixed such thst browsing on the mobile phone was as timely as browsing on the PC, he would not be interested in browsing by mobile phone. Therefore, you can imagine my delight in showing off the new OpMo 10 browser experience to him running on my Omnia II. I think he is warming to it

There is always some balance required here, and I must come clean that I have noticed one negative (at least for me). I have discovered that OpMo 10 will close if you focus away to another application. i.e. it tends to release itself if run in the background, I am currently trying to find a way to rectify that, it's probably a straightforward registry fix. (Did I just use "straightforward" & "Registry fix" in the same sentence? Opps!)

Overall thou, this release (beta or not) gets my TWO THUMBS-UP of course your mileage may very, but for me I am very happy with my newfound browsing experience...Thank you Opera

Old 11-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Ooo Darren, that's a timely post; I'm looking at a Windows phone for mobile browsing capabilities. Are you saying that the checkerboard doesn't appear with the Omnia II with Opera Mobile 10?

Old 11-30-2009, 02:02 AM
r90a22
Pupil

Opera Mobile 10 Beta is the best version I've seen. Loads the Browser faster than previous versions. Glad to see windows mobile browsing is getting somewhere.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Darren Blade
Contributing Editor-in-Training
Send a message via Skype™ to Darren Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Yuan Sheng View Post
Ooo Darren, that's a timely post; I'm looking at a Windows phone for mobile browsing capabilities. Are you saying that the checkerboard doesn't appear with the Omnia II with Opera Mobile 10?
Yes that's correct, loads about as fast as webpages on my PC via WiFi connection. Remember your mileage may vary.

OpMo 10 seems to manage memory so much better than any other previous version. I've had upto four Tabs loaded at the same time. In OpMo 9.5 it crashed the phone with two tabs open.

OpMo 10...is really a 10 out of 10 in my books. I could rave on but you get the idea...

Now if Microsoft could make touch friendly Mobile office programs it would be greatly appreciated!!! Specifically Pocket (Mobile) Excel. Scroll bars are now a pain in the ....(insert expletive of your choice).

Old 12-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Thanks Darren for your feedback. Very much appreciated. I'm currently using Opera Mobile 10 on an E71 but the 369MHz CPU is not doing it any favours...