Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > Other Windows Phones

Old 11-20-2009, 03:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Unofficial: Xperia X1 Not Getting WM6.5

http://www.wmexperts.com/no-windows...rts+(WMExperts)

While I have to stress this is really heresay (a rep's opinion doesn't count as official), this isn't completely unexpected given the relative age of the X1. But then again, it demonstrates that manufacturers aren't terribly keen on supporting their own WM devices for very long, something we've had to live with through the last ten years. Which is a shame, since the X1 isn't that dated, and I suspect the hardware is more than up to the demands of WM6.5.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Russ Smith
Intellectual

Yeah, the X1 is surely up to the task of running 6.5. There are already some hacks out there to put 6.5 on it. It's more than a little annoying to have to buy a brand new phone just to update the OS. (Back in the day, that used to be one of the selling points of Pocket PCs.)

One customer doesn't make a trend, but here's one that's seriously going to take a look at the HTC offerings rather than simply ponying up for an X3.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:42 PM
reydiodj
Ponderer

I can't say that I'm too surprised - such was their attitude with the Clie series if you all can recall...

Old 11-22-2009, 04:36 AM
WyattEarp
Sage

No surprise at all, since this has become the trend since like 2004 just as MS smartphones began to hit the scene. You're really not safe with any of the WM device manufacturers now a days. I think it's a safe bet that most any of the WM smartphones created after 2005 could run 6.5 so it would really be tough to make a convincing argument saying otherwise. It's just really pathetic at this point but, that's why we have options. There's always something better.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:07 AM
V-iPAQ
Ponderer

neither is mine or 5 other 1.5-2yr old HTC phones. And nor will the HD2 get WM7 I guess. So until someone guarantees WM7 I'm not buying another phone.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:06 PM
kerrins
Ponderer
Default really?

At one time this was THE phone on my list. I read about it every day, wanted one in the worst way. Now, it doesn't even make my list. HTC has come out with better stuff. I haven't even played with an Android but would take that over this. Even an iPhone would be higher on my list. I'm very disappointed with how this came to be released and not supported right out of the gate.