Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Thoughts Site Updates

Old 11-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Welcome to Windows Phone Thoughts!

With apologies to the Great Bard, a site by any other name still smells as sweet, does it not? Welcome to Windows Phone Thoughts, the site with a new name, new logo, but all the same great content from Pocket PC Thoughts and Smartphone Thoughts!

Over the years as the Windows Mobile Professional and Windows Mobile Standard platforms have gotten closer and closer together, I've looked forward to merging Pocket PC Thoughts and Smartphone Thoughts into a single site. Many of you have no doubt noticed over the past year especially that the content on Smartphone Thoughts has been largely mirrored from Pocket PC Thoughts. So much of the news about the platform is the same, only the application development for each platform - and the hardware differences - kept them apart. I've wanted to merge these two sites together under a single site name - a site name that reflects the current Microsoft branding - for quite some time, and it's been painful to have my flagship site bear the name of a brand (Pocket PC) no longer in use...yet I held off merging the sites, waiting for the day when Microsoft finally had only one mobile brand. Well, the Windows Phone brand is about as close to that as I can get today, so I'm taking this opportunity.

I'm also going to commit to re-energizing my efforts in the Windows Phone realm - we're going to staff up here at the site (stay tuned for the public call for volunteers), focus on expanding our review team to review more phones, software, and accessories, and strive to be even better at publishing the latest Windows Phone-related news and commentary. I want Windows Phone Thoughts to be the first place that you'll come to for the latest and greatest news and views about Windows Phones and the Windows Mobile platform. Let's be honest - right now it's hard to be a Windows Mobile enthusiast, but I believe that the best is yet to come from Microsoft in this space and I want to continue to support their efforts here - and, of course, speak openly when I think they're screwing up.

It will be hard retiring the name Pocket PC Thoughts - a site that has existed for longer than any other online property I've ever created - but all the great content, and you, the great community behind it, will live on under a new name. The same goes for Smartphone Thoughts - I'll miss that eye-catching orange design, but that core of what made that site great was the community and the fantastic volunteer Contributing Editors that have poured their efforts into it over the years. All that will continue to exist as I move the content from the old forum locations into the new forums. I should also add that more than a few things will be a bit...broken over the next few days as we fix glitches here and there - some things can't be fully completed until after everything goes live.

I welcome you to Windows Phone Thoughts!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:11 PM
humayunl
Intellectual

Could it be.. that I'm the first to reply?

In any case, this is a good move and big day Jason - and I look forward to the same great content and wealth of information from WindowsPhoneThoughts!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:49 PM
taiter
Neophyte
Thumbs up Cool!

looking good, and i get to be number 2 on this monumentous

Old 11-17-2009, 02:01 PM
gears
Pupil

Wow Jason, a big change but I guess it had to be don't sooner or later. Good luck with everything!

Old 11-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Stinger
Thinker

I'm looking forward to the revamp. Pocket PC Thoughts has always been my favourite Microsoft phone website.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Philip Colmer
Thoughts Media Review Team

Congratulations on the revamp.

Is something happening to the forums in the meantime? This announcement is the only bit of news appearing on Windows Phone Thoughts and although the Pocket PC Thoughts forums seem to be there, I'm sure I posted a message yesterday to a forum that I cannot find today!

Old 11-17-2009, 03:06 PM
aarcam
Pupil

Don�t care what you call it, just as long as you keep bringing the goods. Been lurking here for a while and will continue to do so. Best of luck.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:13 PM
The Yaz
Thinker

... and then there were four...

Jason,

While it does make perfect sense to combine the sites, it still is bittersweet. My PocketPC (Audiovox Maestro) is on its last legs and I do not look forward to losing all of the content its carried for me over the years (Applications, games, .lit ebooks, etc.) and your closing of the PocketPCThoughts site just makes it more real.

Good luck with the new (old) site(s)!

Steve

Old 11-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Colmer View Post
Is something happening to the forums in the meantime? This announcement is the only bit of news appearing on Windows Phone Thoughts and although the Pocket PC Thoughts forums seem to be there
"I should also add that more than a few things will be a bit...broken over the next few days as we fix glitches here and there..."

Doing a site switch-over like this is no small matter - I have to move all the content from all the old forums, delete the old forums, etc. Things aren't going to look/work exactly right until all that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Colmer View Post
I'm sure I posted a message yesterday to a forum that I cannot find today!
We didn't delete any content; we're moving it from one forum to another. Whatever you posted should still be there.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Damion Chaplin
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I've been waiting for this for a long time, and the day is finally here! Congratulations, Jason. Dig the new logo, too.