Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 11-12-2009, 03:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Windows Mobile 7 On Track For 3Q 2010 Release

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/10/...elease-to-oems/

"According to ZDNet Taiwan, the mobile OS is now on track for a release to OEMs for testing (the so-called "Maldives" program) sometime in the first quarter of 2010, and will be launched publicly sometime in the third quarter of the year (or about a year after the release of Windows Mobile 6.5) -- all of which more or less lines up with earlier rumors of a release to manufacturing in Spring 2010."

To quote Inigo Montoya, "I hate waiting". While WM7 is still on track for a late 2010 release, that seems like a lifetime away especially since the code will be more or less complete within the next 3-4 months. The competition is getting more formidable by the day, and Microsoft risks losing relevance in a fast expanding market space. Will the improvements in WM7 make up for being Johnny-be-lately? One can hope.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:31 AM
Fritzly
Sage

I am really curious what MS will come out with....
I hope it will be great but I have a feeling that the "elephant will deliver a mouse"

Old 11-12-2009, 05:52 PM
ucfgrad93
Intellectual

Wow, not until 3Q 2010? By that time, Apple would have introduced an updated iPhone, and Android OS is picking up steam every day. Microsoft better hit this one out of the park, or they are just going to fade into obscurity in the mobile phone market.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:42 PM
BBF
Pupil

We can only hope that Windows Phone 7 will have the same user friendly features that apple's iPhone OS does... but I'm not holding my breath.

Given MSFT's track record on mobile releases, this one won't live up to expectations, let alone be competitive with what the competition released years ago. Look at how long it took them to "release" WM6.5... what a joke.

Even if WP7 exceeds expectations and is better than the competition, the poor reputation deservedly built up by years or lackluster releases and not listening to consumers' needs/wants will take many years to counter... one reaps what one sows...

Old 11-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Looking at the Zune and the fact that they plan to have 6.5 and 7 coexist makes me think that WM 7 is going to be a departure from what they've been doing.

WM7 just might be a line in sand with compatibility too.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 11-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Russ Smith
Intellectual

Multi-tasking, full support for additional storage, standard functionality (like cut-and-paste) throughout because it's done at a system level, ability to add applications and use the most important ones without an internet connection.

These are the things that put me in the Windows Mobile camp in the first place (and, interestingly enough points where Apple is still playing catch up if they're trying at all). With that kind of a base, all that's really needed is some serious work on the user interface. As is obvious from WM6.5 MS is already working on finger-friendliness. They're already rolled multi-touch capabilities into Windows 7 so it isn't a stretch to think that they'll support it in WM7, especially with phones like the Touch HD2 out there.

If MS is using the same procedure as they did with the Windows 7 launch, it's true that it will seem like it's taking forever. On the other hand, releasing a product with a high percentage of OEM support and full support of the beta and RC testers wouldn't be a bad idea.

It does give the iPhone Android, Droid, et. al. an opportunity to carve their niche, but I've noticed that, with the exception of fan-boys, phone users are quite fickle with their loyalties. If MS can come out with a product that works well, entrenchment should be a minor issue.

I hate to wait too, but I'd prefer that to a rushed-to-market, me-too semi-product.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:05 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

Q3 does seem like forever, and the other platforms are improving every 3-5 months with new updates just about. From what I've been told by a T-Mobile rep, the new touch screen blackberry with PHYSICAL keyboard is coming out Q4 of this year or Q1 2010. That'll introduce yet another temptation to sway me away from Windows Mobile. I've been very patient, but stopped holding my breath earlier this year.

It's going to be very difficult for Microsoft to jump right back into the game like nothing happened. By then, Palm, Apple, Blackberry and Google will have already released major updates and new (cool) hardware for their devices.

It's going to take a "knockout" hardware spec running Winmo7 for MS to make a strong comeback in the mobile space. All I can do is hope Microsoft has something great up its sleeve, or we're all going to be fairly disappointed. I still have hope though, nonetheless.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:21 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

You know, I'd love to make a video "response" to Microsoft showing it's Windows Mobile characters from recent commercials having wandered off into neverland, then coming back and seeing their owners hugged up with little androids or apple characters. That's how I feel! LOL

One of the commercials: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUotyelWmFE

Old 11-14-2009, 04:26 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBF View Post
We can only hope that Windows Phone 7 will have the same user friendly features that apple's iPhone OS does... but I'm not holding my breath.
I don't think 6.5 is to far behind that right now. I had been using an iPhone for the last half year, and do agree it is friendly, but it is also very limiting. The inability to do anything from an app but go back to the main screen(s) is frustrating for a long time WM user. Not being able to organize applications other than by which of a dozen serially accessible screens it is on is terribly inefficient. Finding things on the iPhone isn't all that intuitive either. Consider setting the radios. Wifi has an entry right when you enter settings. BT on the other hand is found under general, in settings. There are settings for 3G and roaming, under network, under the general tab, in settings, though there is also a phone tab in the root of settings. These are all related settings to some degree, but are spread all over. Fortunately, there is not that much you can do, so it is not to tough to find all the options by trial and error. Some of the design decisions, single tasking, button minimization/no stylus, application sandboxing, closed environment, made the user experience generally simpler and more consistant and stable, but also limited the variety, personalization and expansion possible with the WinMo platform.

Out of the box my Pure has 3 different interface schemes, HTCs Touch Flo, the new Zune-like/honeycomb WM interface, and I can go back to the tried and true homescreen that is remarkably customizable. That is not to mention the many third party options that are available. My iPhone is no different now than when I got it, except for more apps on more screens.

The Pure, WM6.5, has even done a pretty decent job of making a vast majority of the interface finger accesible, if not always friendly. I've got some fat fingers, and the Pure screen isn't huge, about the size of a Zune HD's, but I have rarely had to pull out the stylus. Thing is, I have the option. There have been times on my iPhone I would have killed for a stylus to enter a WiFi key or password.

I go with Russ. I would like them to get this put together right, before it is released. If that means 3rd/4th Qtr next year...fine. That's when I am eligible to re-sign my life away anyway.

Last edited by Sven Johannsen; 11-14-2009 at 04:30 AM..

Old 11-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Russ Smith
Intellectual
Default end-user psychology

For those of us who follow phone OSes and such, 2010 seems like an eternity. For the average phone user, even users of smartphones, 2010 is next year. They're probably not looking to buy a new phone until then anyway. (Those on contract only upgrade about every two years and those off contract have spent so much on their unlocked phone, they don't want to toss out the investment in such a short time.)

It may seem like a long time between (major system) updates, but we're the only people who really pay much attention to that sort of thing.