Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Articles & Resources

Old 11-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Olympus Releases the E-P2

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/o...pus/e_p2-review

"The Olympus E-P2 ($1099) is the second "Digital Pen" interchangeable lens camera from the Japanese photo giant. The E-P2 is essentially an enhanced version of the E-P1, which was introduced just five months ago. The vast majority of the features on these two Micro Four Thirds cameras are identical: same sensor, same image processor, same LCD, same features (mostly)."

If you were a fan of the E-P1, Olympus has released a new version of this camera - but it looks like it's going to complement, not replace, the E-P1. There's still no built-in flash, but they've added an accessory port for an electronic viewfinder. I'm a little surprised at the price point...I have a hunch Olympus is excited to have a camera that has a lot of buzz around it and they're going to cash in while they can.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:48 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

As I understand it that price point is the MSRP for the camera, lens and detachable high quality EVF. Taking all components into consideration, that's not too bad. I'm actually eyeing this one in a body and EVF set, to add the phenomenal Panasonic pancake 20 1.7 as a lens option. The one thing that remains to be seen, is if the AF speed is improved upon. Currently, with the Olympus E-P1 and the Panasonic GF1 it seems to be a trade off between the AF speed (and other minor extras) of the GF1 against the processing engine and in body stabilization of the E-P1.

For an excellent comparison of these two small Micro Four Thirds cameras, see The Online Photographer, part I and part II.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlof View Post
For an excellent comparison of these two small Micro Four Thirds cameras, see The Online Photographer, part I and part II.
Thanks for the links Marlof, they were great reads. I find myself still really wanting the GF1, despite the lack of image stabilization. There's just something very alluring about the size of the camera, though I fear the first time I wish I had the ability to zoom I'll curse the camera. The GF1 only makes sense to me from a size perspective with the 20mm pancake lens on it. As soon as I see it with a bigger lens, I think "Might as well bring the DSLR."

Old 11-10-2009, 03:03 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

I have the GH1. It goes when I don't feel like bringing the D300. It's really quite a bit smaller regardless.

Last edited by Lee Yuan Sheng; 11-10-2009 at 03:07 AM..

Old 11-11-2009, 01:21 AM
jazboy01
Pupil

I am having canon S5IS. I like the SLRs camera very much but not currently have any one. feature wise this camera looks very good to me. But its just far away from my range.