Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Sniff Out The Energy Hogs in Windows 7

I read about this tip in Maximum PC, tried it myself, and thought I'd share it with Digital Home Thoughts readers. It's pretty cool! This tip will tell Windows 7 to generate a power report, telling you which devices are mis-configured for optimal power savings.

To generate this report, here's what you do: first, click on the Start button, then type CMD. Right-click on the CMD program that will appear in the filtered list, and select Run As Administrator. A command-line box will appear. At the prompt, type in powercfg -energy. Wait 60 seconds, and Windows 7 will generate an HTML file called energy-report in the Systerm32 directory. Go find it and check out the results.

In my case, when I ran it on an HP Slimline computer purchased in 2007 and now running Windows 7, it tagged a bunch of USB devices that do not enter the Suspend State properly. What's curious is that when I go into Device Manager and check out the details for the USB Wireless adapter for instance, the check-box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked. I suspect it's a driver issue - this was a Windows Vista-era computer, and while Windows 7 went on without a hitch, it's using generic Microsoft drivers rather than any that are from HP. I originally became interested in running this report because while this Slimline computer goes into sleep mode just fine, it has a habit of waking itself up for no reason - and I suspect a USB device is to blame. I've disabled the mouse and keyboard as devices that can wake the computer up from sleep, so we'll see how that goes...