Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home News

Old 11-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Hooch Tan
Contributing Editor
Send a message via ICQ to Hooch Tan Send a message via MSN to Hooch Tan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooch Tan
Default Is it Time to Upgrade Your DVD Burner?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...urner,2447.html

"Blu-ray drives, which increase capacities from 8.5GB (double layer DVDs) to 25GB, are still rather expensive and fail to deliver acceptable cost per gigabyte ratios, especially when weighed against ever-falling hard drive prices. Still, there has been progress in the DVD segment, and we wanted to take a closer look."

Computer technology improves faster than greased lightning.  CPUs get faster and more cores.  Video cards get faster and, uh, sometimes more cores.  Hard drives get bigger and faster.  We are constantly upgrading, or getting new computers that are leagues faster than their brethren years ago.  However, optical drives seem to get little news, with the only headline being Blu-ray drives having come out.  Tom's Hardware has turned their eye to the humble DVD Burner to see if they have stagnated, or whether they have kept pace with the rest of the technology inside the magic box.  My general use of DVDs are limited, since I tend towards network based storage mediums for archiving, and flash drives for transporting files.  Anyone out there still use spindle after spindle of DVDs or have made the change to Blu-ray?

Old 11-11-2009, 01:26 AM
jazboy01
Pupil

Well i am having dual layer DVD writter currently. Blue ray DVD burner price has come down very much. But still i am not convinced to spent $300-$400 for burner which i might not use very frequently.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:16 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

CD and DVD writers made sense when the media was cheap and the drives came down to $100 or so in price.

Now, with 1 TB hard drives cheaper than 2 BD writers, and way cheaper per gb than BD disks... I don't see much future for BD writers.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:57 PM
jazboy01
Pupil

agree with you ... Lee Yuan Sheng