Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default HTC Announces the YOU Advertising Campaign

http://www.htc.com/www/press.aspx?i...14924&lang=1033

"HTC Corporation, a global smartphone designer, today unveiled a global advertising campaign that is based on HTC's new Quietly Brilliant brand positioning. As HTC's first global advertising campaign, the YOU campaign is being rolled out across 20 countries in the coming weeks and features the tagline, 'You don't need to get a phone. You need a phone that gets you.' This represents HTC's commitment to focus on people, their needs and how they work and live to ensure that HTC devices suit them."

With a plethora of new and upcoming devices up its sleeve, HTC has gone mainstream in the marketing department. It's just unveiled its YOU ad campaign that's set to be rolled out in twenty countries. The primary take-home point is that HTC's devices are all about the people (you). Yeah, it all sounds like marketing fluff. Admittedly, I wasn't entirely sold on the idea at first (and at this stage, you probably aren't either), but after watching the TV ads, I'm actually digging the way this campaign is headed. Check them out after the break, then drop your thoughts in this thread.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:15 PM
randalllewis
Thinker

I'll give HTC a "C" on this effort. I understand what they are trying to do. They are a tech success story that is largely unknown. Millions of people carry HTC phones without knowing it. If they were simply a manufacturer of electronic devices, this campaign would make no sense. But HTC has shown with its recent attention to detail in hardware and software design that they want to be more than an electronics manufacturer. So an ad campaign is what they need to raise their profile. I've seen HTC ads in airport terminals and target market magazines, but nothing like this. I am certain that the carriers are also supporting this idea because creating a buzz around the HTC brand can help drive customers into an ATT or Verizon store, particularly when a new model is released.

As to these exact ads, I am left with a feeling of "ehh." The slogan about a phone that gets me is ok, but not memorable. And the one minute version of the ad needs to be deep sixed. This type of campaign should be quick 10 and 15 second ads. The 30 second version is even too long. That 60 second thing was largely dark "you need to cry, you wonder where he is, you want to forget...." with lots of night time and bad weather shots. It just as easily could have ended with a pitch for an anti-depresent drug or group counseling.

Slice that 30 second spot into a series of 10 second hits that run in a group. Can the 60 second spot. Show the software and show some of the actual phones!

Old 10-27-2009, 03:50 AM
Reid Kistler
Philosopher

I'll give HTC a "C" on this effort.....

Am inclined to be a bit more generous with the grading scale, although it is possibly still only an "incomplete," depending on where they go with the campaign.

And while a 60-second ad may be pushing things, do not find 30-seconds too long at all - although if they truly blanket a market with these, could see the logic behind suggesting More Ads of Shorter Duration (increases likelihood of someone seeing at least ONE of the ads).

Would assume that the intent here is to build some Brand Recognition for "HTC," and thus a lack of specific phone detail is understandable: I carry a Fuze, and my wife a "Cingular 8125," yet when I mentioned something the other day about her phone being an HTC, her response was a completely blank look: the name meant nothing to her.

Mind you, her profession is a Software Developer, one of her Ministry Areas is Web Site Development, the 8125 is her second "phone/pda," and she also carries an Axim X30: we are not speaking of someone who is "totally out of the loop" on technology here, and yet "HTC" has no more meaning to her than "Raphael" or "Wizard" would. (Well, actually, she does own a SHARP WIZARD... ).

Seems it would be a Good Thing for HTC to build some NAME Recognition - the trick will be in transferring that to individual models / carriers: Apple (basically) only has one of each to worry about, at least for the time being.

And while an actual phone is only briefly visible at the end of the commercial, the screen looked vibrant, and was clearly being manipulated with the All Powerful Finger..... ....... So, yes, with a few repetitions and perhaps (hopefully) a couple ads that focus more on the display, could indeed see someone walking into a local store and asking to see "one of those HTC Phones."

Oh: the "quietly brilliant" bit could prove catchy as well....

Old 11-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

These ads are all over bus stops and other public areas in SoCal. I was shocked at how many times I've seen them in the last week or so.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:11 PM
joeychips
Neophyte

Haven't seen it yet in Chicago, but it's good to know.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I've actually seen these on TV, and at the movies. The Windows Mobile ads, I can still count the number of times I've seen them on my old shop teacher, Lefty's, right hand. At least these are being shown.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:29 PM
doogald
Oracle

I think that these ads are fine. They're better than the new Droid ads from Verizon, that's for sure. At least they actually show a phone with on them (or at least a phone without Sauron looking at you from it.)