Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 10-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Is this Windows Mobile 6.5.1?

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20...ould-have-been/

"Most of you probably know by now that Windows Mobile 6.5 is not the be all end all Microsoft mobile operating system. However, what you might not know is that Microsoft has already up its sleeves another revision of Windows Mobile 6 - unofficially dubbed by the enthusiast community as 6.5.1 - that's faster, sleeker, more touch-friendly and in my opinion, a much better upgrade than 6.5."

Windows Mobile 6.5.1 screenshots courtesy Patrick/OSNN.net

It seems that when it rains leaks, it pours leaks - and above we have what is rumoured to be Windows Mobile 6.5.1 - or, really, it's 6.5.next. No one knows the version number, but it's clearly an evolutionary step from Windows Mobile 6.5. And now that I finally have my hands on a Windows Mobile 6.5 device - thanks to AT&T and HTC - I can see first-hand how badly this is needed. When I powered up the device the first thing I did was change the time zone - and was dismayed to see the same tiny user interface I've seen for over a decade. Over a decade you might be saying? I kid you not, the size of the drop-down menu and other UI elements are the same as they were on the Phillips Velo 1 twelve years ago in 1997. That's beyond ridiculous, but Microsoft seems to have been caught unaware by this whole "finger" thing and now they're playing catch-up in a big way.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:56 PM
tjl129
Pupil

This would be good news if they can finally deliver ROM updates directly to the end users. If they still have to be delivered by the carriers and tested it'll be disappointing. The iPhone has been nice because with the frequent updates it feels like a live platform.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjl129 View Post
This would be good news if they can finally deliver ROM updates directly to the end users. If they still have to be delivered by the carriers and tested it'll be disappointing. The iPhone has been nice because with the frequent updates it feels like a live platform.
Isn't that the truth! I just wrote up a rant about that on the Mobius list...maybe I'll re-publish it to the front page...

Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Djblois
Pupil

Quote:

That cannot be fixed with a minor update like this one. They need to change the whole backend of the Operating System.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Djblois
Pupil

One thing I wish they would do is get rid of the Start Menu button and Ok button on the screen - they are redundant on all new devices. They require the manufacturer to have a hard key for both in all new devices - so why do I need them on the screen too? this will allow the different software writers to have room to put 4 buttons on the bottom as opposed to just 2. This will make it much more finger friendly alone.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:03 PM
epdm2be
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to epdm2be Send a message via MSN to epdm2be

Quote:
This is not Microsoft's fault. It's all the device-manufacturer's fault. THEY ought to provide at regular intervals firmware updates to their fones. M$ provide the building blocks and then it's up to the manufacturers to get new firmwares out. It's the same with those dumbfones. Everybody is always waiting to get new features (or at least genuine improvements) in newer firmware but in the end users always complain that their fone isn't being suported much to soon.

In the case of winmo-devices those stupid manufacturors have it easy because majority of the OS development is done by microsoft. In fact look at what rate forums like XDA churn out new winmo-updates. Every new build gets notices by these forums and worked on the get on many devices. While the manufacturors don't even bother. So I think we really ought to stop blaming Microsoft and start targetting Samsung. HTC and all those other greedy bastards who GET the new builds from M$ but don't channel them down to us, paying customers!!!

Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 PM
ucfgrad93
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
And now that I finally have my hands on a Windows Mobile 6.5 device - thanks to AT&T and HTC - I can see first-hand how badly this is needed.
What device did they send you? When are you going to post your review of 6.5?

Old 10-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
What device did they send you? When are you going to post your review of 6.5?
It's an AT&T HTC Pure. I'll be doing some videos, but I won't be doing a full-on review of 6.5. Way too late to the game for that.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:38 AM
ucfgrad93
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
It's an AT&T HTC Pure. I'll be doing some videos, but I won't be doing a full-on review of 6.5. Way too late to the game for that.
What finally convinced them to send you a Pure? That is too bad that you aren't doing a review, I'd love to read it.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:52 AM
JKingGrim
Intellectual

Quote:
WM 6.x is still based on CE 5. As such we probably wont see direct OS updates from MS. WM7 is based on CE 7 which has much better separation between the device specific OEM parts of the OS and the MS parts which will allow for easier updating.